Applying for Driver’s License
After living one year in the U.S., you will not be able to drive with an international driver’s license. You are required to obtain a Massachusetts Driver’s License. To apply for a Massachusetts Driver’s License, you need to take the following steps:
1. Complete an application for a driver's license. You can apply online or find the application on the MassDOT RMV Website.
You may also visit the Registry of Motorvehicles (RMV) in person (see below for closest RMV):
Registry of Motor Vehicles – Watertown, MA
550 Arsenal Street
(857) 368-8000 or (800) 858-3926
For more information, visit the Bentley University Police Parking and Driving page.
2. All applicants are asked to show proof of a Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number you must obtain a "Denial Letter". A "Denial Letter" can be obtained by visiting any Social Security Office with your passport, I-94 card and I-20 (or DS-2019) and submitting an application. A representative should issue your "Denial Letter" immediately. You must apply for a driver's license within 10 days of receiving this letter. The closest Social Security Office is located at the following address:
135 Beaver Street Suite 120
Waltham, Massachusetts 02452
3. Take your Application and the following documents with you to the RMV:
- I-20 or DS-2019
- I-94 Arrival Departure document (you can print from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Website).
- Social Security card or denial letter
- Proof of Residence Address (e.g. utility bill or bank statement received in the mail with your address printed on it). If you live on campus the Residence Life Office can issue you a letter stating your address.
Buying a Car
The purchase and maintenance of a car in Massachusetts can be quite expensive. In addition to the cost of the car, you are required to pay insurance, as well as sales and excise taxes. Used cars are sold through dealers and privately through the classified section of newspapers. One great online source for car reviews and average prices is Edmunds.com. We recommend that you have used cars examined by a mechanic before you buy it, and ensure that you receive a certificate of ownership along with the bill of sale. A good way to decrease the price of insurance is to bring a letter of recommendation from your insurance back home. There are some insurance companies that will even give you a discount if you provide them with a transcript of good grades. Available parking can also be scarce and/or expensive, depending on where you live. In order to be able to park your car at Bentley, you will need parking sticker from University Police. For more information, call the Bentley Card Office (781) 781-2292.