We maintain a policy of strict confidentiality for all services and medical records. If you are over 18 years of age, your information will not be shared with anyone, including staff, faculty, family and friends.without your written consent, except in cases required by law or if you are a danger to yourself or others.
Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
The goal of Center for Health and Wellness is to provide all patients with high quality health care in a manner that clearly recognizes individuals’ needs and rights. We also recognize that in order to accomplish this goal effectively, the student and the health care provider must work together to develop and maintain optimum health. As a result, the following student rights and responsibilities were written.
As a patient, you have the right to:
- To receive considerate care in a smoke-free environment that is respectful of your privacy, personal beliefs and cultural and spiritual values.
- To have all things explained to you in terms that you can understand and to have any questions answered concerning your symptoms, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis and treatment. If you are medically unable to receive health information or prefer it be given to someone else, the information will be provided to a person designated by you or to a legally authorized person.
- To know what your diagnosis is; what treatment or medications will be used including possible side effects and risks.
- To understand the contents of your medical records through interpretation by the provider.
- To know the name and title of the person who is interviewing and examining you.
- To have the opportunity to refuse care offered by nurse practitioner interns.
- To choose or change your healthcare provider.
- To have explained to you ways that you can prevent your medical problem from recurring.
- To refuse to be examined or treated by health practitioners and to be informed of the consequences of such decisions.
- To be assured of the confidential treatment of disclosures and records and to have the opportunity to approve or refuse the release of such information except when release of specific information is required by law or is necessary to safeguard you or the university community.
- To be given the opportunity to participate in decisions involving your health care.
- To be informed and asked whether you wish to participate in medical research if and when it is being conducted at Center for Health and Wellness.
- To participate in the consideration of ethical issues that arises in the provision of your care.
- To be given the opportunity to provide feedback on the services you receive with the knowledge that your care or service will not be jeopardized.
As a patient, you have the responsibility to:
- To provide the Center for Health and Wellness with information about past immunizations, illnesses, hospitalizations and medications including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements and any allergies or sensitivities.
- To follow the treatment plan prescribed and to ask questions if you do not understand the directions or treatment being given by a provider.
- To provide a responsible adult to transport you as indicated and provide adequate observation as requested by your healthcare provider.
- To inform your provider about any living will, medical power of attorney, or other directive that could affect your care.
- To accept personal financial responsibility for any charges not covered by your insurance.
- To keep appointments or telephone Center for Health and Wellness within a reasonable time ahead if you need to cancel.
- To be respectful of others’ privacy and property while in the Center for Health and Wellness facility.