Medical Care Off Campus
At the hospital:
- University Police can provide transportation.
- You can have any injuries treated immediately.
- You can request a friend or family member to accompany you as you go to the hospital or to stay with you while you are at the hospital.
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital calls Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) if you wish an advocate to be present during the hospital visit.
- You can obtain treatment for potential sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
- You can obtain emergency contraception, if you choose this.
- If you wish to have evidence collected for possible legal action, it is recommended that you seek medical care at a hospital which provides SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) services within five days of a sexual assault. SANE Hospitals will contact a SANE nurse to come to the hospital to collect evidence. Newton-Wellesley Hospital is the closest facility with SANE services.
- The evidence can be stored anonymously even if you do not choose to press charges at that time. vidence can be held if you decide to pursue a criminal case at a later time.
- The Sexual Assault Evidence Kit is provided free of charge. For other services, you may use your own health insurance or ask to be self-billed.
- There is a victim's fund to which you can apply for reimbursement of the expenses incurred after you receive the bill for services.
Medical Care at the Center for Health and Wellness during regular office hours:
- You can request a friend or family member to accompany you to the visit.
- You can request to speak to a nurse or nurse practitioner right away - tell the person who answers the phone that it is a "personal matter" (781.891.2222).
- You can request the gender of your provider.
- You can receive an exam to assess injuries. This may include a female gynecological exam or a male genital exam, if you need or request it.
- You can receive treatment for potential sexually transmitted infections.
- You can receive emergency contraception, if you choose this.
- Referrals can be made to counseling and other medical specialists, if you need or request these.
- You will be given information about resources on and off campus.
- You can choose to use health insurance or self-pay to cover any prescriptions.