The ALANA Experience is a 4.5-day program that takes place from Sunday, August 24th through Thursday, August 28th. The program brings first-year ALANA students to campus one week early to meet other incoming and upperclass ALANA students, get acclimated to life at the university, and build tools for academic and personal success. The program is free, but registration is required.
During the ALANA Experience, you will:
- Learn how to succeed academically and socially
- Explore Bentley services and resources
- Meet faculty, staff and administrators
- Network with corporate partners and Bentley ALANA alumni at special events and workshops
- Join the ASAP mentorship program
Program registration will open on July 1st, 2014. For more information regarding the program or how to get involved, contact Nina DeAgrela at 781.891.2971 or email@example.com.
Through the ALANA Student Advancement Program (A.S.A.P), we pair freshman and sophomore students with upperclass mentors to create a support system for navigating life at Bentley and promoting academic and social development.
Typically, mentees are freshmen and mentors are juniors, with the relationship sustained throughout the mentee’s first two years at Bentley. Matches are made based on factors such as common personal interests, academic programs, and others. After completing the program, mentees then are able to become mentors for the incoming freshman class.
Applying to A.S.A.P
Applications are now being accepted for both mentees and mentors. Click the following links to apply online for both mentees or mentors. For more information, contact Nina DeAgrela at 781.891.2971 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year's coordinators are Ma-Kirah Wilkerson, Class of '14, Madhu Narayan, Class of '14, and Stephanie Wehby, Class of '16.
The Summer Transition Education Program (STEP) provides college admission support for high-potential students who may have faced academic, socioeconomic, or personal challenges beyond their control. Its benefits include:
- Funding for Bentley’s Orientation program (for all new students) and a six-week residential program (exclusively for STEP students)
- Two free summer courses
- Monitoring of your academic progress
- Mentoring, academic advising and tutoring
- Counseling, support and referrals
- Networking and professional development opportunities
We typically seek college-bound high school seniors, primarily from urban areas. You must demonstrate that you are academically capable, motivated, disciplined and have a high potential for success; you also must have completed the ACT or SAT.
STEP students often are among the first in their families to attend college and have pursued a rigorous college preparatory curriculum that includes English, math, history, laboratory science and a foreign language. Most have held leadership positions and participated in their school or community through personal projects, employment and extracurricular activities.
Applying to STEP
STEP is a competitive program limited to 25 students each year. You must apply through the regular admission process for all incoming students for all incoming students; applications are due by January 15. In addition, you must:
- Submit a recommendation from a guidance counselor, Bentley alumnus or community partners
- Submit the FAFSA, CSS PROFILE, and all federal tax returns to the Office of Financial Assistance by February 1
Once accepted to Bentley, you will be required to sign a letter of understanding that you will:
- Participate in new student Orientation, prior to successfully completing the STEP summer residential experience
- Attend all workshops, mandatory meetings and lectures assigned by the STEP director for the first three semesters you are at Bentley
- Attain a minimum 2.3 GPA in each of two summer courses and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA each semester
Scholarships for STEP Students
There are two scholarships available exclusively for STEP students:
- Book Scholarship
- Robert Allan Study Abroad Scholarship
For more information about STEP, contact Claudette Blot at 781.891.2142 or email@example.com.