INFORMATION FOR GRADUATES
- Graduates are asked to report to the Dana Center with cap, gown and hood no later than one hour before your ceremony begins.
- Please tell your friends and family to arrive early. Although there is unlimited seating, it is on a first-come/first-served basis and the saving of seats will not be permitted.
- For the undergraduate ceremony, doors will open for guest seating at 7:00 a.m. No access to the Commencement venue will be allowed before 7:00 a.m. For the graduate ceremony, doors will open for guest seating at 2:00 p.m.
- Guests may utilize available seating outside of the main tent and the field hockey field if they arrive early. The retail tent will also be open at 7:00 a.m. for refreshments.
- Guests are not allowed to save seats in the main tent.
- For guests who prefer indoor seating, the ceremony is broadcast live on a video screen in the Dana Center gymnasium.
- The ceremony will also be live streamed on the Commencement home page for those who cannot attend.
- Immediately following the ceremonies there will be a tent reception with fresh fruit, cheese, crackers, beverages and other refreshments for graduates, their guests and the university community.
Commencement Information Video
Please watch our video on Commencement information, to learn how to put on your cap and gown, as well as more details on the ceremony.
Since we do not hold a rehearsal prior to Commencement, students will receive final instructions one hour prior to their event start time concerning their part in the ceremony. Those students attending the ceremony will receive an e-mail prior to the event which will include more details.
The following is the procedure which will be used during each ceremony:
After arriving in the gymnasium students should go to the check-in tables and pick-up the card bearing their name. They should then find their area and be seated. Faculty Marshals are available in each area to assist in identifying assigned seats. Students will be seated alphabetically by degree. The cards with their name are to be carried in the Procession and when they come forward to the stage. Students will give this card to the person who will read their name on stage. They will proceed across to the middle of the stage and shake hands with the President, then continue across to the end of the stage and return to their seat. Please stay seated for the remainder of the ceremony. All of these procedures will be reviewed with prior to the processional.
Five formal announcements to send to family and friends are available for all students.
- Undergraduates should go to the Registrar’s Office, Rauch 111, to pick up their announcements.
- Graduate students who have indicated that they plan to attend the Commencement ceremony will receive the announcements in the mail.
- Additional announcements, both generic and personalized, may be purchased at the Bentley Bookstore.
Graduation announcements are not seating tickets. Tickets are not required for Commencement.
Hometown News Release
The News and Communications department provides a template news release for students and their families. Find more information here.