Policy Governing Directed Studies
Students are limited to taking no more than two of the following to satisfy elective or concentration requirements: Global Business Experience courses, field-based directed study courses or credit-bearing internships. Individual programs may have further restrictions. Consult with a Program Director for details.
Preparation for Directed Study
Students interested in pursuing a Directed Study must prepare a syllabus in collaboration with the faculty member who will be supervising the Directed Study.
The syllabus should include the following:
- A brief description of the investigation
- Goals and objectives for the investigation
- A required readings bibliography
- Explanation of course deliverables
- Percentage attributed to each course deliverable
- Timeline for course deliverables and course completion
- Faculty evaluation methods for deliverables
Students must also complete a Directed Study Petition and submit the proposed syllabus with the Petition.
Once complete, supervising faculty and Department Chairs will be required to sign off on the merit of the proposal. If approved, the student will be registered for the approved course.
Deadlines for Directed Study
- Requests for Directed Study must be submitted by the first day of the semester that the course will be taken.
- Approval must be granted prior to beginning the study.
Cost of Directed Study
- Current tuition is charged for each Directed Study.
Transcript Notation for Directed Study
- These courses will be recorded on the transcript with a notation of the topic investigated along with a corresponding course number assigned by an academic department.