You are here
Bentley Hosts New England’s Premier Tax Conference
Bentley University hosts the 19th annual IRS Town Meeting on Monday, October 22, 2012 featuring a keynote address by IRS Fraud and Bank Secrecy Act Director William P. Marshall. The program, sponsored by the Bentley Law, Taxation and Financial Planning Department and the Internal Revenue Service, is considered to be the premier tax conference in New England for lawyers, CPA’s, enrolled agents, and return preparers.
The IRS Town Meeting runs from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and also features several special speakers:
- Karen Hawkins, Director, IRS Office of Professional Responsibility, Washington, D.C.
- Art Ayotte, Field Director, IRS, Andover Campus
- Bryan Inoue, Director, Examination, Small Business/Self-Employed Division, North Atlantic Area
The program will also include the following four panels led by Internal Revenue employees, Bentley faculty and practitioners:
- Hot Topics - This panel will discuss how changes to tax law impact taxpayers and the IRS as well as some of the areas of focus identified in the National Taxpayer Advocate Report to Congress.
- Protection from Identity Theft Schemes – This discussion will focus on IRS' detection, prevention and victim assistance measures for identity theft and how this can affect return filing and processing.
- Ethics - Circular 230 contains the standards of tax practice for all registered tax return preparers and enrolled agents. The OPR administers the substantive standards and makes recommendations for practitioner discipline. This session will provide an overview of the scope of Circular 230, the oversight responsibilities of the OPR, and the disciplinary process and sanctions.
- Inside IRS SB/SE Examination and Collection – This panel will allow participants to review the basics of the current Exam procedures, the best way to respond to information requests in field examination, and how compliance solutions can be more flexible.
Participants who complete the seminar receive 8.0 CPE credit hours including 2 hours of ethics.
For questions please call or email Roseann Cotoni, 781-891-3198, firstname.lastname@example.org
U.S. News & World Report ranked Bentley No. 2 among regional universities in New England and the Mid-Atlantic states, up from No. 3 last year, highlighting Bentley’s high-quality faculty and academic programs along with the strong value that students receive from a Bentley education.