The Story Behind the Building: Rauch Administration Center
If you’ve had the opportunity to visit Bentley during the past 25 years, the Rauch Administration Center is probably a familiar sight. Situated on the proverbial front doorstep of campus, the center was constructed in 1986 and is home to the Office of the President and other senior university officers, the Board of Trustees Meeting Room, and a variety of administrative offices.
The building is named for HENRY RAUCH ’24 one of the most influential individuals in Bentley history. Rauch played a critical role in developing the then-Bentley School of Accounting and Finance into Bentley College. Asked to join the board in 1948 by founder Harry C. Bentley, his personal friend and associate, Rauch became one of 27 charter members of the Board of Trustees. In 1970, he was elected board chairman and served in that capacity for most of the decade. His leadership helped guide Bentley through a period of expansion and prosperity, as facilities, enrollment and the endowment enjoyed significant growth.
In recognition of his myriad contributions, Rauch received the first honorary degree ever conferred by Bentley, in 1980. Another of his many firsts was being elected chairman emeritus by the Board of Trustees. Rauch and his children, Elizabeth Rainoff and Dudley Rauch, are among the school’s great benefactors. In addition to making other generous gifts, the family established the Faculty Enrichment Grants, which now support the university’s PhD program. In addition, Elizabeth Rainoff served on the Board of Trustees from 1981 to 2000.