You are here

Frequently Asked Questions


Frequently Asked Questions


  1. What is the DAS?
  2. How do I find out which courses fulfill my electives, such as the Humanities elective?
  3. Is there a deadline to declare my major?  What about an LSM?
  4. I am having a difficult time scheduling an appointment with one of my instructors. What should I do?
  5. How can I add/drop if I have a hold on my account?
  6. I want to withdraw from a course. What should I do?
  7. I earned a low but passing grade in a course. Can I retake the course for a higher grade?
  8. What grade point average (GPA) do I need to be in good academic standing?
  9. In planning my travel arrangements for the end of the semester, I noticed that I can get a better deal if I leave before the date of my last final exam. Can I take the exam at another time?
  10. What is Wintersession? Can I take one of these courses? Is the tuition covered in the academic year’s tuition?
  11. Does Bentley offer a Summer session? Is the tuition covered in the academic year’s tuition?
  12. Can I receive academic credit for ROTC training?



  1. The Degree Audit Summary (DAS) is an outline of your course requirements. It is used to help track your progress in earning a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree. The DAS tracks requirements you have met, grades you have earned, as well as your remaining requirements.

    To access your DAS, log into My Bentley. Select the Degree Audit Summary link under the Academics tab.

    The Registrar's Office maintains and updates the DAS. To report a discrepancy, e-mail the Registrar's Office at

  2.    Check your Registration Booklet or on-line for a list of Elective Guidelines that outlines the courses you can take to fulfill your electives. 
  3.    Students are required to declare a primary major by February of sophomore year (or before they reach class code 4). To learn more about major options, start with the majors section of this web site.

    Students interested in pursuing an optional double major in an LSM must declare so by the last day of classes in the fall semester (or before they reach class code 4). Students will not be permitted to add an LSM after they reach class code four status.

  4.    Check your course syllabus. Your professor’s e-mail and phone number should be listed. Your professor should also have office hours listed on the syllabus. All instructors are required to hold weekly office hours for students to drop in. If you cannot meet with the instructor during posted office hours, you should schedule an appointment to meet with them. You can do so by e-mailing or calling your professor, or by calling the department (see Advising Directory) to make alternative arrangements.
  5. Students are not permitted to add a course to their schedule if they have a hold on their account. 

    Financial Hold:  You should visit Student Financial Services to take care of the hold.
    Health Hold:  You should visit the Center for Health and Wellness.
    Academic Hold:  You should visit the Office of Academic Services

  6.  Students who would like to drop a course must do so by completing a Course Change form in person at the Registrar’s Office.

  7.    If you decide to withdraw and your course load drops below 12 credits, you will then become a part-time student, which may have financial aid and health insurance implications. In all cases, before completing the course withdrawal process, you should meet with your instructor and academic adviser to discuss your situation.  Please check the Academic Calendar or with the Registrar's Office for Withdrawal Deadlines.  
  8.    To be eligible to repeat a course, you must have received a grade of less than 2.0 in the course to be repeated and your overall GPA must also be less than 2.0. In addition, there are other requirements. Please refer to the Student Handbook or Undergraduate Catalogue for more information.
  9.    First Year students with an overall GPA of a 1.9 and sophomores, juniors, and seniors with an overall GPA of a 2.0 are in good academic standing with the university. Please note that all students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.0 to be eligible for financial aid and to graduate.
  10.    No. You are required to be at Bentley from the first day of class through your last scheduled final exam and are required to attend all scheduled class and exam meetings. You should not make travel arrangements that conflict with your class or final exam schedule. Because you know course starting and ending dates and your final exam schedule when you register for courses, end-of-semester travel arrangements can be made before the semester even begins. For semester and final exam dates, please refer to the Undergraduate Registration Booklet.
  11.    Wintersession is a one-week, intensive session that typically takes place the week before the Spring semester begins. A number of courses are offered in this format that allows you to earn three undergraduate credits during a one-week intensive session. You can register for one of the courses offered, provided that you have satisfied the pre-requisites for the course. The tuition is charged separately from the Fall or Spring tuition bill. Contact the Office of Academic Services for the schedule of Wintersession courses and their syllabi.
  12.    Bentley runs two six-week summer sessions, the first starting at the end of May and the second starting at the beginning of July. In addition, the University runs one-week accelerated courses in May. For the summer sessions and accelerated courses, the tuition charge is separate from the Fall or Spring tuition bill. The schedule of summer session courses can be found online.
  13.    ROTC students may apply 6 credits of military science courses toward their Bentley program of study.  These courses may be used as unrestricted electives and are applicable toward their grade point average.  For more information, call 781.891.2405 or 617.353.4026.

top of page