You are here

Frequently Asked Questions For Faculty And Staff


  1. Where can I obtain a list of my advisees?
  2. What is the DAS?
  3. When should students declare a major?
  4. Am I required to hold additional office hours for my advisees?
  5. What should I do if my advisee is having academic difficulty?
  6. When is a student placed on academic performance?




  1.    Your advisee list is available on MyBentley.  You will be able to view your current advisee address and Degree Audit Summary information.
  2.    The DAS is the degree audit summary which outlines all course requirements that students must complete in order to earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree at Bentley. The Registrar’s Office maintains the updated DAS, which notes requirements fulfilled and grades earned.
  3.    Students are encouraged to declare a major in the first semester of their sophomore year.  Students must file a “Student Change Form”, available from the Registrar’s Office (RAU 111) or the Office of Academic Services (LAC 298). Full-time day students must have this form signed by the department chair of their new department.  Part-time evening students should have the form signed by an academic advisor in the Office of Academic Services.
  4.    As much as we urge students to plan ahead and to meet with advisors well in advance of busy times, students tend to seek the assistance of an advisor/mentor around the registration period, and for seniors, prior to graduation.  Additional advising hours outside of your standard office hours would be especially helpful during these times.  Faculty should publish their office hours on line. 
  5.    If a student is experiencing academic difficulty in a course, there are many support services available to them. We suggest that the student take the following steps:

    Start with the student’s instructor. He or she can help the student find ways to improve his or her understanding and academic performance in the course. 
    Encourage the student to work with a tutor in one of the Learning Centers. Free tutorial assistance is offered in the following learning centers that are generally open between 40 to 50 hours per week including days, evenings and weekends throughout the academic year. 
    Contact an academic advisor in the Academic Advising Center for additional support. 
    Have the student sign up for the Study Skills Seminar if he or she is having difficulty with managing time, note-taking, reading, or other academic skills. The Office of Counseling and Student Development can provide more information on the seminar. 
    Depending on the area of concern, have the student meet with an adviser or counselor in the Office of Counseling and Student Development, the Multicultural Center, the International Services, or the Athletic Center.

  6.    A first year student whose overall GPA is less than 1.9 or a sophomore, junior or senior whose overall GPA is less than 2.0 is placed on academic probation. In addition, first-semester first year students or transfers whose GPA is below 1.7 are reviewed by the Academic Performance Committee.

    The Academic Performance Committee takes appropriate action depending on individual records and situations. Such actions may include reducing the student’s course load, requiring various counseling activities, requiring attendance in the Study Skills course, suspension, and, ultimately, dismissal from the University.

    Concerns about individual students may be directed to Leslie Doolittle in the the Office of Academic Services  (x. 2803).

Top of Page