During Junior Swap, eligible students return their two-year-old notebook computer for the latest in business-class notebook technology.
You swap your notebook computer two years (four semesters) from the date you matriculated at Bentley (if you matriculate to Bentley in September, you will be contacted via email near the end of your fourth semester with your options).
Note: You must backup your data prior to swapping your notebook.
What Do I Do Now?
- If you have not already done so this past Fall, please login to my.bentley.edu, under the Administrative Responsibilities tab and choose your new laptop.
- Visit https://bentleycs.mywconline.com to register your name and schedule an appointment.
- Please back up your current notebook.
- Please remove any stickers and residue from your notebook casing or you will be charged a $25.00 fee for removal. You will not be allowed to remove any stickers during your appointment.
- Bring your notebook, primary battery, ac adapter, power cord and any dongles (network adapter) if you have a Mac or Lenovo to your appointment.
(If you forget these items, you will be billed for their replacement or you will need to reschedule your appointment when you have them in your possession).
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I swap my notebook computer if I am not going to be at Bentley for eight semesters?
If you are not enrolled as a full-time day student for the traditional eight semesters, you will be contacted near the end of your fourth semster with your options if you have earned less than 80 credits. If you chose to receive a second notebook, you must pay the fair market value (FMV) upon graduation and may not return your second notebook.
What happens to the data on my current notebook?
It is your responsibility to backup your data before you swap your notebook. Once your notebook is handed in, all data on the hard disk will be permanently removed.
- You may backup your data onto media such as an external hard drive.
- You may purchase online storage. There are several vendors that provide this service. Bentley does not endorse any of these products or vendors; they are listed here for informational purposes only.
- NovaStor Online Backup: http://www.novastor.com/
- Cloud Direct: https://www.clouddirect.net/solutions/online-backup/
- Carbonite: http://www.carbonite.com/
Bentley University must receive all notebooks back from students by 5:00 p.m. on September 30, 2016. If you do not return your current notebook by September 30, 2016, your student account will be billed a non-refundable fee of $25.00 per day. Bentley University is not responsible for late fees due to your inability to return to campus to return your notebook on time. Students studying abroad will not be charged any late fees.
You must return your notebook, both batteries, the AC adapter, and the power cord. The backpack and network cord are yours to keep. You will not receive a new backpack or network cord with your new notebook.
- Remove SD cards
- Remove all stickers from your notebook (Be careful not to use any metal objects, this will scratch the casing)
- Backup your data
- Bring your AC adapter, power cord and dongles (network adapter) if you have a Mac or Lenovo to your appointment
What if I am not returning to Bentley University?
If you are not returning to Bentley University, you must return your notebook to the Computing Services Desk prior to the first day of classes. If your are unable to physically return to campus, you may have someone else return it for you (include the notebook, both batteries, AC adapter, and power cord) or send it insured for $500 via Fed Ex or UPS to:
Attention: Fred Bachofner
175 Forest Street, Library, Room 040
Waltham, MA 02452-4705
What if my notebook has sustained damage or parts are missing?
Each student is responsible for the condition of their notebook. Minor nicks and scratches are considered normal wear and tear. Missing or broken keys are not considered normal wear and tear. All stickers must be removed; depending on the extent of residue, you may be billed for damage to the casing. Please do not scrape stickers off or use any abrasive cleaners, this will only further damage the casing. If any parts are damaged or missing, you will be notified during the swap and your student account will be billed a deductible fee of $750 for such instances. When possible, Bentley will repair any damages at the lowest cost to the student.
What if my notebook is lost or stolen?
If your notebook is lost or stolen you must file a police report with the Bentley University Police within 48 hours of the incident. You will be responsible for the deductible fee of $750. Please be certain that the serial number of your notebook is included in the police report.
- Your old notebook will be inspected for any missing parts or damage.
- You will sign the Return Checklist which outlines the condition of your old notebook.
- Your old notebook will be removed from your account.
- You will be issued your new notebook computer.
- You will be directed to configure your new notebook.
- If you have paid eight semesters of the $600 technology fee.
- If you are graduating early, and you have not paid four semesters of the $600 technology fee on your second notebook, you will be billed according to the buyout schedule on your second notebook. Notebook computers cannot be returned.
- If you transferred into Bentley and have not completed four semesters, you will be billed according to the buyout schedule on your second notebook. Notebook computers cannot be returned.
What if I have questions or concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Computing Services Help Desk by email at email@example.com.