During Junior Swap, eligible students return their two-year-old notebook computer for the latest in business-class notebook technology.
You swap your notebook computer two years (four semesters) from the date you matriculated at Bentley (if you matriculate to Bentley in September, you will be contacted via email near the end of your fourth semester with your options).
Note: You must backup your data and complete the Computer License Agreement on-line prior to swapping your notebook.
To complete the Computer License Agreement:
- Log in to MyBentley.
- Under the "Home Tab" you will see "Administrative Responsibilities."
- Click "Computer License Agreement."
- Read the contract carefully and click "I Agree" after each paragraph. Click "Submit" after the last paragraph.
- Once you agree to the Computer License Agreement you will receive another task to schedule your appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I swap my notebook computer if I am not going to be at Bentley for eight semesters?
If you are not enrolled as a full-time day student for the traditional eight semesters, you will be contacted near the end of your fourth semster with your options. If you chose to receive a second notebook, you must pay the fair market value (FMV) upon graduation and may not return your second notebook.
What happens to the data on my current notebook?
It is your responsibility to backup your data before you swap your notebook. Once your notebook is handed in, all data on the hard disk will be permanently removed.
- You may backup your data onto media such as a writable CD/DVD or external drive.
- You may purchase online storage for the summer and early fall. There are several vendors that provide this service. Bentley does not endorse any of these products or vendors; they are listed here for informational purposes only.
- NovaStor Online Backup: http://www.novastor.com/
- Backup Direct: http://www.backupdirect.net/
- Carbonite: http://www.carbonite.com/
Bentley University must receive all notebooks back from students by 5:00 p.m. on September 26, 2014. If you do not return your current notebook by September 26, 2014, your student account will be billed a non-refundable fee of $25.00 per day. Bentley University is not responsible for late fees due to your inability to return to campus to return your notebook on time.
You must return your notebook, both batteries, the AC adapter, and the power cord. The backpack and network cord are yours to keep. You will not receive a new backpack or network cord with your new notebook.
- Remove all CD's and DVD's
- Remove SD cards
- Remove all stickers from your notebook (Be careful not to use any metal objects, this will scratch the casing)
- Backup your data
- Bring your AC adapter, power cord and both batteries to the swap
What if I am not returning to Bentley University?
If you are not returning to Bentley University, you must return your notebook to the Computing Services Desk prior to the first day of classes. If your are unable to physically return to campus, you may have someone else return it for you (include the notebook, both batteries, AC adapter, and power cord) or send it insured for $500 via Fed Ex or UPS to:
Attention: Tom Westcott
175 Forest Street, Library, Room 041A
Waltham, MA 02452-4705
What if I am studying abroad?
Once the laptop computers are available in late August, an administrative responsibility will appear in myBentley in late August for you to complete your Computer License Agreement and then schedule an appointment under "Administrative Responsibilites" in myBentley. For those students that are unable to come to campus to swap your notebook prior to leaving, you may exchange your computer when you return to campus in January.
What if my notebook has sustained damage or parts are missing?
Each student is responsible for the condition of their notebook. Minor nicks and scratches are considered normal wear and tear. Missing or broken keys are not considered normal wear and tear. All stickers must be removed; depending on the extent of residue, you may be billed for damage to the casing. Please do not scrape stickers off or use any abrasive cleaners, this will only further damage the casing. If any parts are damaged or missing, you will be notified during the swap and your student account will be billed a deductible fee of $750 for such instances. When possible, Bentley will repair any damages at the lowest cost to the student.
What if my notebook is lost or stolen?
If your notebook is lost or stolen you must file a police report with the Bentley University Police within 48 hours of the incident. You will be responsible for the deductible fee of $750. Please be certain that the serial number of your notebook is included in the police report.
Can I swap my notebook early?
An administrative responsibility will appear in myBentley in late August for you to complete your Computer License Agreement and then schedule an appointment under "Administrative Responsibilites" in myBentley.
- Your old notebook will be inspected for any missing parts or damage.
- You will sign the Return Checklist which outlines the condition of your old notebook.
- Your old notebook will be removed from your account.
- You will be issued your new notebook computer.
- You will be directed to configure your new notebook.
- If you have paid eight semesters of the $600 technology fee.
- If you are graduating early, and you have not paid four semesters of the $600 technology fee on your second notebook, you will be billed according to the buyout schedule on your second notebook. Notebook computers cannot be returned.
- If you transferred into Bentley and have not completed four semesters, you will be billed according to the buyout schedule on your second notebook. Notebook computers cannot be returned.
What if I have questions or concerns?
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Computing Services Help Desk by email at email@example.com.