Smart Phone Security
SmartPhones and Tablets allow faculty, staff and students to keep up with university-related issues by accessing e-mail, contacts and calendars from the convenience of a mobile device.
Yet, due to their small size and portability, SmartPhones are more frequently lost or stolen. Without proper security set on the phone, authorized access on a lost or stolen phone can be gained easily, compromising any information stored on that phone.
To help secure hand-held devices, Bentley's has a formal Mobile Device Policy. Highlights include:
- Employees are not allowed to send or receive Level 1 data on hand held devices (SmartPhones, Tablets, PDAs, etc).
- Employees accessing Level 2 data from mobile devices must do so using Bentley’s internal mobile device management system.
- Employees must accept the university mobile device security policies downloaded onto the device. These include the policy enabling Bentley University to remotely erase all data from the device (reset to factory defaults) in the case of reported loss or theft.
- The Bentley University mobile device security policies downloaded onto the device also require employees to create a 4 digit pin and employ automatic timeouts which lock the device after 60 minutes of idle time.
- Employees must not store more than 3 weeks of e-mail on their device.
- Employees must configure the device to erase all Bentley University data after five consecutive failed login attempts. The Bentley University Help Desk will provide restoration assistance if this occurs.
- Employees must immediately notify the Bentley University Help Desk at 781-891-2854 if a handheld device containing Bentley Online Resources is lost or stolen.
Please review the entire Mobile Device Policy for full details.