Each application is reviewed individually, with careful consideration given to all requested materials and information. All application materials submitted are the confidential property of Bentley and cannot be returned. If you have any questions during the application process, please contact the PhD Office and we will be happy to help.
Preparation for the Program
Applicants to the PhD program should have a master’s degree or equivalent from an appropriately accredited institution. Those whose graduate degrees are not in business are required to demonstrate their understanding of business subjects, including baseline knowledge of the core subject courses for the PhD in accountancy or business. Professional work experience, including some in a managerial or supervisory capacity, is preferred. The experience can be in business, government, or the nonprofit sector.
- Master's Degree: A master’s degree is preferred but in some cases, students may be admitted with only a bachelor's degree.
- Transcripts: Official copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required. Please use the Transcript Request Form available through the online application site.
- GMAT or GRE Test Scores: Applicants are required to submit GRE or GMAT scores, valid if taken within the last five years. The preferred GMAT score is 650+, the preferred GRE score is 151+ for quantitative reasoning and 162+ for verbal reasoning.
- The GMAT test code for the Bentley PhD Program in Accountancy is 84V-F2-02
- The GMAT test code for the Bentley PhD Program in Business it is 84V-F2-50
- The GRE test code is 3096.
- TOEFL or IELTS: International applicants who do not have a 4 year bachelor's degree and/or 2 year master's degree from an accredited institution located in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, or Uganda must take either the TOEFL or IELTS language test.
- The minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 100 and IELTS is 7.
- The test code for the TOEFL is 3096.
- Research Paper: A five-page research paper outlining the area in which you'd like to focus your research. This paper should be in APA or MLA style and contain the general idea of your research topic. We do not expect a fully developed literature review at this stage, or for your paper to contain a precise specification of your research method. We will use this paper as one of the methods to assess your ability to engage with academic literature and develop interesting research questions, so it should show evidence of some general reading around your area of interest. The paper will also be used to assess your fit with a faculty member who could act as your primary adviser (you can nominate a faculty member that you feel is most appropriate in this role on the application itself). Your application will be sent to the faculty member who appears to be the best fit, given your research interests, so you should look carefully at faculty research prior to submitting your application and writing this paper.
- Personal Statement: Please discuss why you wish to undertake a PhD program and why Bentley University is the appropriate institution.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation, including at least two from faculty members knowledgeable about the applicant's work and capabilities, who can address the candidate's potential for completing doctoral-level research.
- Please use the recommendation form available in the additional documents section of the online application.
- Your recommender should submit the completed form directly into your online application, as per the instructions.
- Curriculum vitae: Applicants should upload their current CV/RESUME through the online application.
- Interview: Select candidates will be invited for a personal interview (in some cases this will occur by phone or Skype where a personal interview is not possible).