- Petition to Graduate Process
- Commencement Participation
- Degree Conferral Dates
- Graduation Honors
- Diploma Availability
Commencement 2017 Ceremony Info
To access the petition forms
- login to MyBentley
- click on the Academic tab on the top
- click on Academic Student Self Service
- click Main Menu
- click Undergraduate (Day and Evening) Student Main Menu
- click Student Services,
- click Petition to Graduate
complete all required and elective course requirements within the declared degree program;
have an overall GPA of 2.0 and a major GPA of 2.0 and, where applicable, a minor GPA of 2.0; and,
clear all financial obligations with the university
For students finishing degree requirements at the end of the fall semester
- Petitions are due by October 7, 2016
- The actual conferral date is February 24, 2017
For students finishing degree requirements at the end of the spring semester
- Petitions are due by February 3, 2017.
- The actual conferral date is May 20, 2017
For students that will be within 6 credits of completing their Bachelor's degree at the end of spring semester and wish to participate in the May 2017 ceremony as a 'Walker'
- Petitions are due by February 3, 2017
- Degrees are awarded at the next conferral following sucessful completion of all degree requirements
Students who will be short of the graduation requirements by six or fewer credits at the end of the spring 2017 semester can participate as walkers in the May 2017 commencement ceremony as long as they meet the GPA requirements stated above. In order to participate, walkers must file their petitions by February 3, 2017. Please be sure to select the "October 27, 2017" graduation date as well as "I plan to participate in the May 2017 Commencement Ceremony" this will put you on the list of ceremony participants.
Once you have filed your petition on the web as a walker, you will need to fill out a Walker Contract with the Office of Academic Services in Jennison Hall, 3rd Floor. Students that are within 6 credits of completing their degree are allowed to participate in the ceremony, but are not considered graduates. Students will graduate at the next conferral once all coursework is sucessfully completed and all requirements are met.
Degree Conferral Dates
Degrees are awarded three times a year (Oct/Nov, Feb/March and May) in conjunction with the meeting of the Board of Trustees. However, there is one ceremony per academic year, in May. All three graduating classes are invited to attend the May ceremony.
- If you complete your final course(s) during the summer semester, your degree will be awarded in Oct/Nov.
- If you complete your final course(s) during the fall semester, your degree will be awarded in Feb/March
- If you complete your final course(s) during the spring semester, your degree will be awarded in May
For example, a student who completes his/her final course in December 2016 will be conferred his/her degree on February 24, 2017. The diploma will list February 24, 2017 as the graduation date and it will be available for pickup/mailing no sooner than early March. The transcript will say “Degree Awarded February 24, 2017”. The student should list February 24, 2017 on his/her resume as the graduation date.
Honors are awarded at commencement to degree and certificate recipients as follows:
3.800 or higher = Summa Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree Highest Honors), (Certificate and Associates Degree Highest Honors)
3.600 - 3.799 = Magna Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree High Honors), (Certificate and Associate Degree Highest Honors)
3.400 - 3.599 = Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree Honors), (Certificate and Associate Honors)
- Your diploma will be available on the day of the May commencement ceremony. It will not be released until the ceremony concludes.
Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar Graduates
- If you selected "I will pick up my diploma" on the Petition to Graduate, you will receive notification by mail when it is ready to be picked up. Your diploma will be available approximately two weeks after the official conferral date. You may pick up your diploma at the registrar's office on the first floor of the Rauch Building (Rauch 101). Please bring a photo ID with you as your diploma will not be released to you without one.
- If you selected "Mail my diploma" on the Petition to Graduate, the diploma will be mailed to the address you provided on the Petition to Graduate approximately two weeks after the official conferral date.
I have a minor in law. Will my minor be printed on my diploma? No.The diploma will only have your degree and major(s)
Will my LSM be printed on my diploma? Yes. For example, your diploma will read Bachelor of Science Management and Liberal Studies. The liberal studies concentration is not listed
When will a transcript be available with my degree conferral date printed on it? Approximately two business days after the official conferral date. Once the conferral date is posted to the transcript, you may request your transcript through our online transcript oredering system.
Am I able to get multiple copies of my diploma? No, only one original is produced and valid
I plan to attend the Commencement ceremony, but I owe money on my student account. Can I still participate? No. You must have no outstanding student account balance to participate in the ceremony.
Do my guests need tickets to get into the Commencement Ceremony? How many of my friends and relatives can attend? We do not require tickets to attend the ceremony. Go to Commencement Site
2017 Commencement Ceremony Information
For General information regarding the May 20, 2017 Commencement Ceremony go to Commencement Site
(Available in March 2017)
COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY 2017 COMMUNICATION
An email containing general information about the ceremony will be sent to the following students in late March to the following students that have indicated they plan to participate in the May 2017 ceremony:
• All October 2016 graduates that did not participate in the May 2016 ceremony
• All February 2017 graduates
• All May 2017 graduation candidates
• All October 2017 graduation candidates, within 6 credits of completing their degree (who have filed a Petition to Graduate by February 3 stating that they would like to attend the May 2017 ceremony as a “walker”)
A final email containing more detailed information will be emailed to those students listed above who have indicated they plan to attend the May 20, 2017 by Thursday, May 18, 2017.
Diplomas will be available for pickup immediately following the commencement ceremony. The specific location will be determined at a later date and will be included in the e-mail sent to graduates and candidates in mid-April. Please note that diplomas are never distributed until the commencement ceremony has officially concluded.