Undergraduate Graduation Information
- Petiton to Graduate Process
- Commencement Participation
- Degree Conferral Dates
- Graduation Honors
- Diploma Availability
Commencement 2013 Ceremony Info
To access the petition forms
login to MyBentley
click on the Academic tab on the top
click on Academic Student Self Service
click Main Menu
click Undergraduate (Day and Evening) Student Main Menu
click Student Services,
click Petition to Graduate
complete all required and elective course requirements within the declared degree program;
have an overall GPA of 2.0 and a major GPA of 2.0 and, where applicable, a minor GPA of 2.0; and,
clear all financial obligations with the university
For students finishing degree requirements at the end of the spring term
Petitions are due by February 22, 2013.
The actual conferral date is May 18, 2013
For students that will be within 6 credits of completing their Bachelor's degree at the end of spring term and wish to participate in the May 2013 ceremony as a 'Walker'
Petitions are due by February 22, 2013
Degrees are awarded at the next conferral following sucessful completion of all degree requirements
Students who will be short of the graduation requirements by six or fewer credits at the end of the spring 2013 semester can participate as walkers in the May 2013 commencement ceremony as long as they meet the GPA requirements stated above. In order to participate, walkers must file their petitions by February 22, 2013. Please be sure to select the "October 18, 2013" graduation date as well as "I plan to participate in the May 2013 Commencement Ceremony" this will put you on the list of ceremony participants.
Once you have filed your petition on the web as a walker, you will need to fill out a Walker Contract with the Office of Academic Services in LIN 21. Students that are within 6 credits of completing their degree are allowed to participate in the ceremony, but are not considered graduates. Students will graduate at the next conferral once all coursework is sucessfully completed and all requirements are met.
Degree Conferral Dates
Degrees are awarded three times a year (Oct/Nov, Feb/March and May) in conjunction with the meeting of the Board of Trustees. However, there is one ceremony per academic year, in May. All three graduating classes are invited to attend the May ceremony.
- If you complete your final course(s) during the summer semester, your degree will be awarded in Oct/Nov.
- If you complete your final course(s) during the fall semester, your degree will be awarded in Feb/March
- If you complete your final course(s) during the spring semester, your degree will be awarded in May
For example, a student who completes his/her final course in December 2012 will be conferred his/her degree on March 1, 2013. The diploma will list March 1, 2013 as the graduation date and it will be available for pickup/mailing no sooner than March 15, 2013. The transcript will say “Degree Awarded March 1, 2013”. The student should list March 1, 2013 on his/her resume as the graduation date.
Honors are awarded at commencement to degree and certificate recipients as follows:
3.800 or higher = Summa Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree Highest Honors), (Certificate and Associates Degree Highest Honors)
3.600 - 3.799 = Magna Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree High Honors), (Certificate and Associate Degree Highest Honors)
3.400 - 3.599 = Cum Laude (Bachelors Degree Honors), (Certificate and Associate Honors)
Your diploma will be available on the day of the May commencement ceremony. It will not be released until the ceremony concludes.
Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar Graduates
- If you selected "I will pick up my diploma" on the Petition to Graduate, you will receive notification by mail when it is ready to be picked up. Your diploma will be available approximately two weeks after the official conferral date. You may pick up your diploma at the registrar's office on the first floor of the Rauch Building (Rauch 101). Please bring a photo ID with you as your diploma will not be released to you without one.
- If you selected "Mail my diploma" on the Petition to Graduate, the diploma will be mailed to the address you provided on the Petition to Graduate approximately two weeks after the official conferral date.
I have a minor in law. Will my minor be printed on my diploma? No.The diploma will only have your degree and major(s)
Will my LSM be printed on my diploma? Yes. For example, your diploma will read Bachelor of Science Management and Liberal Studies. The liberal studies concentration is not listed
When will a transcript be available with my degree conferral date printed on it? Approximately two business days after the official conferral date. Once the conferral date is posted to the transcript, it may take up to 5 business days to process transcript requests.
Am I able to get multiple copies of my diploma? No, only one original is produced and valid
I plan to attend the Commencement ceremony, but I owe money on my student account. Can I still participate? No. You must have no outstanding student account balance to participate in the ceremony.
Do my guests need tickets to get into the Commencement Ceremony? How many of my friends and relatives can attend? We do not require tickets to attend the ceremony. Go to Commencement Site
2013 Commencement Ceremony Information
For General information regarding the May 18, 2013 Commencement Ceremony will be available around March 1, 2013. Go to Commencement Site
(Available in March 2013)
COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY 2013 COMMUNICATION
An email containing general information about the ceremony will be sent to the following students in late March to the following students that have indicated they plan to participate in the May 2012 ceremony:
• All October 2012 graduates that did not participate in the May 2012 ceremony
• All March 2013 graduates
• All May 2013 graduation candidates (who have filed a Petition to Graduate by February 22)
• All October 2013 graduation candidates, within 6 credits of completing their degree (who have filed a Petition to Graduate by February 22 stating that they would like to attend the May 2013 ceremony as a “walker”)
A final email containing more detailed information will be emailed to those students listed above who have indicated they plan to attend the May 18, 2013 by Thursday, May 16, 2013.
Diplomas will be available for pickup immediately following the commencement ceremony. The specific location will be determined at a later date and will be included in the e-mail sent to graduates and candidates in mid-April. Please note that diplomas are never distributed until the commencement ceremony has officially concluded.