You are here
What should a driver do if an accident occurs?
In the event an accident occurs the driver should do the following:
- DO NOT ADMIT LIABILITY TO ANYONE.
- Exchange vehicle information with the other driver-name, address, license number, plate number, year, make, model of car, name of Insurance Company.
- If necessary, contact the local police.
- Report all accidents immediately to University Police at 781.891.3131.
- University Police will submit an Accident Report Form to the Risk Management Department.
- If a Bentley employee is injured, he/she should file a report with the Department of Human Resources – Worker’s Compensation.
What does an employee or student do if the other driver’s insurance company contacts them at work or at home about a university owned, leased or rented vehicle?
The employee (driver) should send all correspondence and refer all telephone calls to the Risk Management Department, 781.891.2226. The employee should not discuss the accident with anyone except a Bentley University representative or a representative of the university’s insurance company.
What if the employee receives a summons and complaint?
If the employee receives a summons and complaint, they should deliver these papers to the Risk Management Department immediately so the necessary steps can be taken to file a response with the court.
What if an accident occurs to an employee’s personal vehicle while on university business?
The employee should do the following:
- Submit an accident report as soon as possible to the employee’s insurance company. The employee’s automobile policy is the primary insurance.
- Send a copy of the accident report to the Risk Management Department, Rauch 028. The university’s automobile policy will provide excess insurance in the event the employee’s policy reaches its policy limit.
- Employee must provide Risk Management Department with a letter from the department head stating the purpose of the employee’s business trip and confirming that the accident occurred on university business.
Will the employee’s collision deductible be reimbursed if the accident occurred while on university business?
It depends on who is at fault. The employee must submit proof of their auto policy deductible and this can either be a copy of the policy declaration page or a letter from their insurance company. Once the employee has had the vehicle repaired and can show proof of payment of deductible, copy of cancelled check (both sides) or credit card statement, the employee can submit this documentation to the Risk Management Office who will then process the reimbursement.