You are here

Information for Faculty and Staff

As a staff or faculty member at Bentley, you may develop close relationships with students who may confide sensitive information about sexual assault.  As a member of the Bentley community, you have an important responsibility to help the student access appropriate resources. 

Confidential Reporting

All colleges are mandated by law (the Clery Act) to report the number of sexual assaults and rapes, as well as other crimes, experienced on their campuses each year in order to track the instances of these crimes, so that colleges may effectively work on prevention and response. For this reason, it is important to report that an incident has occurred. Reporting a rape or sexual assault is confidential – no names of survivors are required.

Although certain faculty and staff (identified as Campus Security Authorities (CSA’s) by the Chief of University Police based on Clery Act requirements) are mandated by law to report sexual assaults and other crimes to University Police, all faculty and staff are strongly urged to report any crimes of which they have knowledge in order to provide accurate statistics and to make sure the campus is safe. The name of a survivor of a sexual assault does not have to be disclosed.  If you have questions on whether you in your role on campus are required to report a sexual assault, call University Police at 781.891.2201. Whether you are required to or not, you can report a sexual assault without names by calling University Police (emergency line: 781.891.3131). 

How to Assist Survivors

  • See our Helping Someone Who Has Been Assaulted for information on how to talk with students.
  • Listening without giving advice and helping the student get connected to the appropriate professional resources on or off campus is the most helpful thing you can do.
  • See our On, Off-Campus and Web Resources for information on where to refer students.
  • Remember that your role in this situation may be different than your professional role with students. As the student decides their next steps, it may be hard not to tell the student what to do, but these decisions must be left up to the student.
  • For some students, accessing resources after an assault can be overwhelming. You may offer to walk them to offices such as the Office of Counseling and Student Development (second floor of the Callahan Police Station), University Police (Michael Callahan Police Station) or the Center for Health and Wellness (Rhodes Hall ground floor). This small step can make an enormous difference for a student. 

If you wish to talk to someone about sexual assault or how to help, you can call the Office of Counseling and Student Development (781.891.2274) or the Center for Health & Wellness (781.891.2222).

To receive additional personal support for yourself, contact Human Resources (781.891.3427).