Guidelines for the Spring 2021 Trimester
Oct. 19, 2020
Dear Members of the Bentley Community,
Today we are sharing with you an updated framework for the spring 2021 trimester and accompanying academic calendar. These plans, developed with the input of the Return-to-Campus Task Force and our Student Advisory Group, are designed with the health and safety of our entire community in mind.
The spring trimester will begin on Tuesday, January 19 and end on Friday, April 30.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day will be observed on January 18 with no classes held and administrative offices closed.
- Patriots’ Day will be observed on April 19 with no classes held and administrative offices closed.
- Earlier this month, we announced that the traditional March spring break will not be held. We recognize that a continuous schedule through April 30 can lead to fatigue. Therefore, in addition to Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Patriots’ Day, three additional days with no classes will be incorporated into the academic calendar. These days will be non-consecutive and the specific dates will be determined with the input of various student groups. Additional details will be shared at the start of the spring trimester. Student Programs & Engagement will work closely with student groups to plan engaging programming for these additional days off. Administrative offices will remain open on these days.
- Commencement is scheduled for Saturday, May 1. As previously announced, it is our intention to hold this event in-person subject to health guidance and state limitations on event occupancy. Therefore, given the uncertainty, we continue to encourage graduates and their families to make tentative, refundable arrangements for Commencement 2021.
- Senior Week is an important Bentley tradition. We are working on options for safely holding a Senior Week this year, including the possibility of using the days immediately following Commencement. The Senior Class Cabinet is working on various proposals and we are supporting their efforts.
Move-in dates will be communicated the first week of December. Students will return starting January 15 with assigned move-in and screen testing times. Any questions on the move-in process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
At this time, we anticipate the following COVID-19 protocols will apply to the spring trimester:
- Face coverings and physical distancing will be required.
- In-person gatherings where responsible distancing cannot be observed will be strictly prohibited.
- Weekly COVID-19 screening test appointments will continue to be required for all on-campus students, commuting students, faculty and staff.
- Consistent with the fall trimester, there will be a two-week easing-in period to allow for two rounds of screening tests. After this easing-in period, in-person classes and other services will reopen to those enrolled in the testing protocol.
Additional updates and policy details will be shared as we approach 2021. As always, this information will be posted to bentley.edu/backtobentley.
We recognize that a great deal has been asked of our community this fall. Your cooperation and vigilance have been the deciding factor in our success to date. Thank you for all that you are doing to keep yourself and your peers safe, and please continue your great work as we enter the final stretch of the on-campus phase of the fall trimester.
Chair of the Board and Interim President
Donna Maria Blancero
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students