You are here
Boston Business Journal Presents Bentley University’s Earl Avery with Lifetime Achievement Award for Work as a Leader in Diversity
The Boston Business Journal presented Earl Avery, special assistant to the president and ombudsman at Bentley University, with a Lifetime Achievement Award as part of its 2011 Leaders in Diversity Awards, the publication’s annual program that honors companies and businesspeople for their leadership in promoting inclusiveness and economic opportunity. The award was presented in October at the Westin Copley Hotel in Boston.
“Earl is an essential part of the Bentley fabric, and has been the central catalyst for building a more diverse faculty, staff and student body,” says Bentley President Gloria Cordes Larson. “He has also supported and mentored countless students, faculty and staff over the years. His influence has also expanded beyond the Bentley campus, through his work with several national organizations to promote greater diversity in business schools and business practice.”
The BBJ noted Avery’s ability to tackle diversity issues in myriad ways, including creating a series of two-and-a-half day retreats on the topic that have now reached a majority of Bentley staff and faculty.
Other highlighted accomplishments include:
- Serving as the campus ethics officer and as a mentor and counselor to a variety of campus minority employee groups
- Organizing the school’s gospel choir and annual Martin Luther King Jr. breakfast
- Developing the Summer Transition Education Program (STEP) program, which provides support for students from urban schools who may not meet Bentley’s traditional admission requirements
- Increasing faculty diversity through a partnership with historically black colleges and universities, including visiting professorships and distance learning programs that provide a diverse experience for students and faculty both at Bentley and the partner schools
- Assisting in the formation of a consortium of seven Boston-area business schools that work together to attract diverse faculty to the region
- Addressing a surge of applicants and students from Asia, particularly China, by working with a cross-cultural expert to help tailor a suite of programs designed to ease their transition
Avery was honored among local business leaders who have set personal examples for others in the area of diversity and inclusion. Several companies were also recognized for building strong, effective and measurable diversity programs.
“Providing economic opportunity to a wider cross-section of Bostonians and promoting more diversity are key components to making Boston a better place to live and work,” BBJ Publisher Chris McIntosh said of winners. “We’re pleased to honor individuals and companies that are taking the lead.”
BENTLEY UNIVERSITY is one of the nation’s leading business schools, dedicated to preparing a new kind of business leader – one with the deep technical skills, broad global perspective, and high ethical standards required to make a difference in an ever-changing world. Our rich, diverse arts and sciences program, combined with an advanced business curriculum, prepares informed professionals who make an impact in their chosen fields. Located on a classic New England campus minutes from Boston, Bentley is a dynamic community of leaders, scholars and creative thinkers. The Graduate School emphasizes the impact of technology on business practice, in offerings that include MBA and Master of Science programs, PhD programs in accountancy and in business, and customized executive education programs. The university enrolls approximately 4,200 full-time undergraduate, 82 part-time undergraduate, 1,000 graduate, and 24 doctoral students. Bentley is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges; AACSB International – The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business; and the European Quality Improvement System, which benchmarks quality in management and business education.
In the most recent U.S. News & World Report rankings of America’s Best Colleges 2017, Bentley University is ranked #3 among “Best Regional Universities - North.”