Before leaving campus for abroad, please be sure the following items have been completed
- You are able to login to MY.BENTLEY.edu successfully using your computer
- You are able to check your Bentley e-mail successfully using your computer
- Students with a Windows computer must complete the Study Abroad License Activation Utility and create a local user account on your computer prior to leaving campus.
- Mac users DO NOT need to run this utility.
- To run the License Activation Utility click on this link via a wired (not wireless) connection from on campus (this utility cannot be run off-campus) - if you do not run this utility your computer will cease to function.
- After the activation is complete click on "create user" button to create a local account on your computer.
For rising Juniors, the Mobile Computing Program "Junior Swap" is not available until late August.
All eligible study abroad students will be notified by email when the notebooks are available. Once notified, you can schedule an appointment to pick up your new notebook computer during the last week of August.
Please note: It is necessary to login to the computer for the first time on campus due to the educational licensing initiation, security and Bentley specific software and resources.
If you are unable to come to campus prior to leaving, you should plan to swap your computer when you return to Bentley.
Please use extreme caution in caring for your computer while abroad
- Do not eat or drink near your computer
- Do not leave your computer unattended
- Practice safe internet habits (do not click on links you receive through email unless you know the sender)
- Back-up your files to a cloud service or external hard drive (Bentley is not responsible for your data)
If you have issues with your computer notebook while abroad
Bentley is available to assist you with your computer related issues; however, due to shipping costs, duties and taxes for which you are responsible for (sending and returning), turnaround time, and customs clearance, sending your computer to Bentley from abroad for repair will take significantly longer than if you were on campus. Please email the helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed description of your issues as well as your seriel number (located on the bottom of your notebook) or call 781.891.3122 during regular business hours.
For Virus, Software, and other assistance
If there appears to be viruses or malware on your notebook, these can usually be eradicated with Sophos, which is already installed on your notebook. Make sure you run a FULL scan. Before running any anti-virus or anti-malware applications, we recommend that you update the definition files, so that you have the most up to date protection.
If you need assistance with virus scans, or any other software issues with your notebook, while you are abroad, please contact the helpdesk via phone at 781.891.3122 or via email at email@example.com. In some cases, support staff will be able to assist you in real-time via remote access.
For the Computing Services Help Desk hours of operation and other information, please visit the website: http://www.bentley.edu/offices/client-services/computing-services-desk#hours