A visiting student is a non-degree seeking student who:
- has completed (or is in the process of completing) at least one semester at the home university
- is not a participant in an official Bentley exchange program Please note: if your current university has an exchange partnership with Bentley, you would need to apply via that exchange program.
- has funding from one of the following sources:
- government sponsorship
- international organization grant or scholarship
- scholarship from your home institution
Please note that one of the above funding sources is required in order for Bentley to issue the necessary documentation for a J-1 visa. Regretfully, Bentley is not authorized to issue visa documentation to non-degree seeking visiting students who are privately or independently funded.
As a visiting student at Bentley, you may choose to study for one semester or one academic year.
Visiting Student Application Process
|Application Deadline||Admission Decision Notification|
|Fall/September Enrollment||February 2||March 1|
|Spring/January Enrollment||August 1||September 1|
Admission decisions will be communicated via the Bentley Abroad system.
- Visiting Student application
- $75 application fee
- official transcripts from all universities attended
- official secondary school transcript with date of graduation
- Home Institution Report
- Mid-Term Grade Report
- two recommendations
- official standardized test scores
- SAT or ACT with writing- required if you have taken, or are taking, fewer than 30 semester hours of academic credit at the time of application
- TOEFL or IELTS- required if you are a non-native speaker of English
- TOEFL: our preferred minimum score is 90, with a minimum score of 20 in each of the 4 subsections
- IELTS: our preferred minimum score is 7.0, with a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the 4 subsections
- Confirmation of Financial Resources from one of funding sources described above
- passport photocopy
Confirmation of receipt of the above credentials may be viewed via the BentleyAbroad system.
For questions about the visiting student application process, please contact the Cronin Office of International Education.
Other key information for visiting students:
- Current details regarding tuition and fees can be found in the Certification of Finances.
- As a visiting student, please note that you would not participate in our mobile computing program but would have access to our high-tech campus facilities. Your technology fee would therefore be reduced to $100 per semester, and you are encouraged to bring a laptop computer with you.
- As all J-1 visa holders are required to have proof of adequate U.S. health insurance, all visiting students are automatically enrolled in the Bentley student health insurance plan.
- The standard course load at Bentley is five 3-credit courses per semester; all visiting students must enroll in at least four 3-credit courses per semester. While it is our intent to accommodate your requested courses for the semester(s) in which you are enrolled, please note that course availability and perquisite requirements will play a role in course selections.