Frequently Asked Questions

General Billing Questions:

Tuition & Fees:


Payment Plans: 

Financial Aid:


Payment Methods:


When is my bill due?

Please visit our Billing and Due data page by clicking here.

There is a financial hold on my account. What does this mean?
A financial hold is placed on an account if there is a past due balance. This type of hold will prevent students from such things as: registration, obtaining transcripts, participating in the housing lottery (if applicable), participating in senior week activities (if applicable). If you live on campus and have a past due balance, you may be asked to formally move out of housing prior to the winter break. In additional to a financial hold, past due accounts are subject to late payment fees of $100.00. 

How do I change my billing address?

Bills are generated electronically and e-mailed to the student and/or authorized user. However, you should still keep your address updated with the Registrar's Office. This request must be sent in writing to the Registrar's Office. Address changes can be mailed or faxed to:

Registrar's Office
Bentley University
175 Forest Street, Room 111
Waltham, MA  02452-4705

FAX #:  (781) 891-3428

Be sure to specify that you are submitting a "billing address" change.

NOTE: Bentley University will not send regular billing statements to your employer. See below for our Third Party Billing policy and procedure.

How may I obtain a receipt for my payment?  
You can print out your student account history from the web using MyBentley. After logging in, click the "Finances" tab, then "View acount summary on Banner Web" under the Account Summary section. You can also contact the Student Financial Services Office at (781) 891-2162 and we can fax or mail the information to you that same day. We understand that many companies require this documentation and we do our very best to accommodate students.  

I am a full-time undergraduate student. Why is my tuition rate less than the full-time rate?
In ordered to be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours. If you are enrolled in less than 12 credit hours, you are charged as a part-time student and therefore charged for each individual class. Although the current charge may only be for each class, if you plan to enroll in enough courses to bring you to a full-time status, you should adjust the tuition accordingly and pay the anticipated balance. Please note if your financial aid was awarded based on full-time enrollment, your package will be adjusted if you do not enroll in at least 12 credit hours.

Why do I have to pay a technology fee?
The technology fee is mandatory and covers software licenses, the use of the Bentley University network, labs, training facilities as well as the leased laptop computer (if applicable).

Why do I have to pay an activity fee?
The activity fee is a mandatory fee charged to all students. This fee assists in subsidizing events that take place on campus. 

Why am I being charged health insurance?
All students enrolled at least three-quarter time (9 credits for undergraduate and 6.75 credits for graduate) are required to be covered by a U.S.-based health insurance. If you are covered under a domestic health insurance plan and do not require insurance through the school, you must complete a waiver form. If you wish to enroll in the insurance plan offered through Bentley University, you must complete the enrollment form. Both waivers and enrollments are completed online through University Health Plans . Undergraduate students must complete a waiver form or enrollment form by August 1 for the fall semester or January 2 for the spring semester. Graduate and evening students must complete a waiver form  or enrollment form by the first day of classes. You must complete either a waiver form or enrollment form each year. 

How do I login to view my bills or make an online payment?
Students login to MyBentley and access the Finances tab. You may then follow the link named "Finance Student Self Service; "Student Account Information" and finally "E-Bill and E-Payment". Authorized users will receive a link in each billing notification or may click here

Why am I receiving an error message when I attempt to login?
If a student is able to login to MyBentley, but receives an error message after clicking the "E-Bill and E-Payment" link on the Finances tab, it may be due to a setting in the internet browser. Please be sure cookies are enabled in your browser. Click here to view a document on setting browser cookies.

If an authorized user is unable to login, the password you are entering is incorrect. If this is your first login attempt, please try to copy and paste the login information into the login box. Some letters may look like a number and vice versa. If this does not work, the student may login to the account and reset your password. A new e-mail will be sent to you with a new temporary password.

Will I continue to receive paper billing statements?
Bentley will be issuing all billing statements online.  However, students and authorized users may login to the account, open the electronic bill and then print it for your records. If you feel that a paper bill is still required, please contact Student Financial Services to request this. Each request will be reviewed on a case by case basis and if approved, a paper bill will also be generated on your behalf.  

What if my parent or authorized user does not have access to the internet?
Students will be able to login to the account, view or print the bill and make online payments. We will also continue to accept payments by mail. Please see our Payment Options page for additional acceptable forms of payment.

What happens if I do not pay on time because I didn't view my online bill?
It is the students responsibility to be sure the tuition bills are paid on schedule. If the online bill is not viewed within a few days, a reminder e-mail will be sent. If payment is not made by the due date, the penalties set forth in the Policies and Procedures page may be enacted.

Are electronic payments secure?
Yes. Our business partner, CASHNet, has met all compliance standards and is regularly audited to ensure they are meeting the required security measures.

Am I required to pay online?
No. We will continue to accept payments made at the Cashier's Office, payments by wire transfer and payments by mail. If you choose to pay by electronic check or credit card, you will need to make these payments online.  

Why must I pay a convenience fee if I pay by credit card? 
The fee of 2.75% is paid to CASHNet for providing the convenience of using credit cards to pay tuition bills. Bentley University does not retain any amount of this convenience fee.

What e-mail address will my billing notifications be sent to?
Students will receive their notifications at their Bentley University e-mail addresses. Any established authorized users will be notified at the e-mail address established on your login account.

What if my authorized user's email address changes?
The student has the ability to edit the authorized users settings. Simply login to the account and click "Edit" next to the name of the authorized user. The authorized user also has the ability to edit their email account once they are signed in.

How do I reset my authorized users password?
Only the student may reset the authorized user password. The student must sign into MyBentley and go to the Finances tab. Select the "Finance Student Self Service" and "Student Account Information" links and finally select "E-Bill and E-Payment" link. In the "Authorized Users" box, click the Edit button next to the authorized users name. The next screen will provide a Reset Password button. Once clicked, a new email will be sent to the authorized user with a new temporary password. Once a password is reset, all previously saved payment information (ex. ACH account information) will be removed.


Does Bentley University offer a payment plan?
Beginning fall 2009, Bentley University will be offering new payment plans to all  students. Please visit our Payment Options page for more details

If I'm studying abroad, may I sign up for the payment plan?
Yes. Students who are spending a semester abroad through the Education Abroad program may enroll in the Bentley University Payment Plan. See our Payment Options page for more information.

As a part-time student, am I eligible to apply for financial aid or loans?
To inquire about eligibility for financial assistance, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (781) 891.3441.

I received a financial aid package, why isn’t it listed on the bill?
The bill will reflect the financial aid package only if your financial aid file is complete. If required paperwork has not yet been received by the Office of Financial Assistance, your aid will not be listed on the bill. Also please note, outside scholarships do not automatically appear on the bill. Please notify Student Financial Services if you are receiving a scholarship other than one granted by Bentley.

I have to provide my employer with proof of payment. How can I obtain this information?

You can print out your student account history from the web using MyBentley. After logging in, click the "Finances" tab, then "View account summary on Banner Web" under the Account Summary section. You can also contact our office by calling 781.891.2162 and we can either fax or mail the information to you.

There is a credit balance on my account. Will I get a refund?
You may receive a refund if you have a current credit balance on your account. All pending funds must be disbursed to your account prior to the refund being issued. If your account was paid by credit card, the refund will need to be issued back to the credit card. All refunds must be requested by completing a refund form. You can obtain the refund forms in our office or online. Please note, if the credit balance is created by a disbursement of Title IV funds, the school must refund this credit to you.

I paid a dorm damage deposit last year, when will this money be refunded to me?
Residential Services conducts dorm damage assessments over the summer. If no damage was found, the credit will be issued back to your account. If damage is found, your account will either be credited a lower amount of the deposit or will be charged an additional amount, depending on the extent of the damage. If the refund of the deposit creates a credit balance on your account, you may request a refund of this balance. However, if there are any outstanding charges on your account, the deposit will be applied towards those charges.

If I have to leave school due to a personal physical illness or accident, is there a tuition insurance plan to cover tuition and fees?
As a supplement to the University Refund Policy, we are pleased to offer an insurance program, The Tuition Refund Plan (TRP) through A.W.G. Dewar, Inc.

This plan supplements the university refund schedule and provides more generous refunds throughout the entire term. If you withdraw from classes due to a personal physical illness or accident, this plan will return up to 100 percent of your insured tuition and fees. For withdrawals due to medical/psychological illness, benefits will return up to 60 percent of insured fees. Enrollment forms with complete details are mailed to students in July or an application may be completed online. The TRP provides coverage (according to the terms of the policy) for tuition, room, and meal charges. Benefits under the Tuition Refund Plan can provide a valuable resource for students who need to withdraw for medical reasons.

Please contact A.W.G. Dewar, Inc., at 617.774.1555 or you can access their website at for  more information or to apply.

What forms of payment are accepted?
Beginning with the fall 2009 semester, Bentley University will be accepting online payments in addition to the currently accepted forms of payment (paper check, wire transfer, etc.)

  • Undergraduate day students will be able to pay online with an eCheck at no extra cost. If you choose to pay with a credit card, undergraduate day students will be subject to a service charge of 2.75 percent collected by CASHNet SmartPay. CASHNet accepts American Express, MasterCard or Discover. You may also pay via cash, paper check or wire transfer.
  • Evening and Graduate students will be able to pay online with an eCheck or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover) at no extra cost. You may also pay via cash, paper check or wire transfer.

How do I send a wire transfer?

International students should visit our Payment Options page for information on sending a wire payment through peerTransfer. As an alternative, students can pay using e-check (ACH) and have the funds directly debited from your U.S. bank account. Students can make an e-check payment by signing into MyBentley and follwing the link under the Finances tab. Authorized users can use the link provided to them at the time their user id was created.

Can I make a payment over the phone?
At this time, we do not have the method to take any payments over the phone. You may make an electronic payment through our new on-line billing and payment system, mail a payment or bring it directly to our Cashier’s Office in Rauch 123.