Bentley PhD Application Dates & Deadlines
Application Available: Monday, September 16, 2019
Final Application Deadline: Monday, January 6, 2020
Early Admission Decision: Early applications are encouraged. We will consider all applications received prior to the January 6, 2020 deadline for early decision. If you apply early and do not receive an offer of early admission, your application will remain in the applicant pool and will be considered alongside those received by the January 6, 2020 deadline.
Admissions Timetable: The PhD program will review all completed applications received by the January 6, 2020 deadline. All final admissions decisions will be communicated by April 15, 2020.
Start your application
Applicants to the PhD program typically have a master’s degree from an accredited institution. Those whose graduate degrees are not in business are required to demonstrate their understanding of business subjects, including baseline knowledge of the core subject courses for the PhD in accountancy or business. Professional work experience, including some in a managerial or supervisory capacity, is preferred. The experience can be in business, government, or the nonprofit sector.
- Master's Degree: A master’s degree is preferred.
- Transcripts: From every college or university in which you were enrolled in a degree-granting program.
- GMAT or GRE Test Scores: Scores taken within the past five years. The preferred GMAT score is 650+. The preferred GRE score is 151+ quantitative and 162+ verbal. The GMAT test codes are 84V-F2-02 for Accountancy and 84V-F2-50 for Business. The GRE test code is 3096.
- TOEFL or IELTS: Required for international applicants. The language requirement is waived for applicants who have earned either a four-year bachelor's degree or two-year master's degree from an accredited institution located in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Uganda, or the United States. The minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 100 and IELTS score is 7. The test code for the TOEFL is 3096.
- Research Statement: A five-page paper outlining the area in which you'd like to focus your research. This paper should be in APA or MLA style and contain the general idea of your research topic. We do not expect a fully developed literature review at this stage, or for your paper to contain a precise specification of your research method. We will use this paper as one of the methods to assess your ability to engage with academic literature and develop interesting research questions, so it should show evidence of some general reading around your area of interest. The paper will also be used to assess your fit with a faculty member who could act as your primary adviser.
- Personal Statement: Please discuss why you wish to undertake a PhD program and why Bentley University is the appropriate institution.
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation, including at least two from faculty members knowledgeable about the applicant's work and capabilities, who can address the candidate's potential for completing doctoral-level research.
- Curriculum vitae: Applicants should upload their current CV.
- Interview: Select candidates will be invited for a personal interview.
Students may be eligible for need-based aid. Please see the graduate student web page for more information. For PhD stipend and funding information, please visit our Fellowships and Funding page.