Skip to main content


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is a work benefit that allows F-1 students to complete off-campus employment for class credit. In other words, CPT is the authorization an F-1 student requires to do an internship in the United States while studying at Bentley. CPT authorization can be granted by the CISS as long as students meet the immigration criteria, academic requirements of their program to complete an internship, and turn in the appropriate application documents (listed below).  CPT can be part-time (20 hours a week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours a week). CPT is designed to provide work experience directly related to the internship course in which the student is enrolled. Keep in mind that a total of 365 days of full time CPT employment disqualifies a student for OPT. Traditional volunteer work (e.g. at a soup-kitchen, homeless shelter) does not require CPT. However most volunteer work that is employment-related, even unpaid internships, require CPT authorization.

Have a question about F-1 employment information?

CPT Eligibility
  • A student in F-1 status at Bentley is eligible to participate in practical training after he/she has completed one full academic year (fall and spring semesters) of full time study in a valid visa status immediately prior to the CPT experience. Time spent at other SEVP-certified schools may count towards CPT eligibility. (E.g., If you were a full-time student for the past two academic terms (with the exception of major school breaks) immediately prior to enrolling at Bentley.) It is recommended that you check with CISS to confirm eligibility*.

*Note: CPT eligibility is dependent upon eligibility to enroll in an internship course. Certain programs may have restrictions on how early students can receive credit for an internship course. Check with your academic department before searching for an internship.

Important: You cannot take a fully online course or an internship course as your only course in your final semester, including the summer term. During the academic year (fall/spring semesters), you must take a full course load, including the internship course.


Applying for CPT

How to Apply for CPT

To apply for CPT:

1. Obtain an Offer Letter from your employer that includes the following information (CPT application must have the same start and end dates as the offer letter). You can find a sample offer/employer letter here.

  • Official Company Name (no acronyms or abbreviations)
  • Address of Employer 
    • This should be the address where you will actually be reporting to work; the address must include zip code, city and state
    • For remote/hybrid work: please list your employer’s office address. On your CPT application, you will also need to list the address from where you will be working if the internship is remote/hybrid.
  • Start Date of Employment and End Date of Employment within the semester during which the internship will take place*

        Spring 2024 Internship Dates: 01/22/2024 - 05/17/2024

**With permission from your internship coordinator, you may be permitted to begin your internship 1-2 weeks prior to the semester start date, for training or other purposes. Students starting a new degree at Bentley may not begin their internship before the CPT start date.

  • Position Title and Description of Position Responsibilities
  • Number of hours to be completed each week
    • 20 hours or less= Part Time
    • 21 or more hours= Full Time

*Undergraduate students must be registered for an internship by the Registrar's office. Departmental documents approving an undergraduate student for an internship for credit must be submitted no later than the last day of the third week of classes in the fall or spring semester. A late add of an internship for credit is not permitted. See Academic calendar for exact date.

*Deadline for adding an internship for Spring 2024 (undergraduate and graduate students): Monday, February 12, 2024

*Deadline for adding an internship for Summer2024 (undergraduate students): Friday, June 14, 2024

2. Apply for approval for the internship course with the Internship Coordinator for your Academic Department. 
Note: The internship coordinator is the faculty member responsible for your course. Contact your Academic Department to find out who your internship coordinator is.

3. Complete the CPT Application and have it signed by your internship coordinator.

4. Upload your CPT application and internship offer letter and complete the CPT Acknowledgement Form & Application.

5. Register for your internship course in Workday.

6. After your internship course registration is confirmed and your form is submitted, you will receive your new CPT I-20 within 3-5 business days.

  • *You may not begin working until your receive a new I-20 with your CPT work authorization.

CPT Information Sessions

The CISS hosts multiple information sessions per semester for you to learn more about the CPT process. An advisor will present an overview of the requirements and general process, and answer any remaining questions you may have.

Fall 2023 Information Session:

Tuesday, September 19, 2023, 2:00 pm-3:30 pm, Smith 122 & Zoom

Meeting ID 949 8223 6666

Zoom Link:

You can access a recording of a previous information session here:

CPT Frequently Asked Questions

When am I eligible for CPT?

Generally speaking, after you have been enrolled full-time at Bentley for at least one academic year you are eligible for CPT. If you completed one year of full-time study at an another U.S. institution (including undergraduate) prior to coming to Bentley, you may also be eligible. Periods of OPT count as a break in studies unless they are completed only during a semester break. You must be in F-1 status at the time you apply for CPT. Contact with questions about your CPT eligibility.

Do I need to be enrolled in an internship course to be eligible for CPT?

Yes, you must be enrolled in an internship course in order to be eligible for CPT. The internship course can be counted as an “in-person” course provided that the student is reporting to campus for other courses (otherwise, the course will count as a distance education course). Likewise, CPT cannot be authorized during a student’s last semester unless the internship course is accompanied by other required “in-person” course work. In other words, CPT at Bentley can never be authorized as the only course taken in a final semester.

Can I work before my employment start date?

No. You cannot begin working before the start date on the I-20.

Can I work after the end date?

No, you must stop work on the last date listed on the I-20 that is why it is important to select the right dates. If you would like to extend your internship dates you must talk to a CISS advisor at least 7-10 days before your CPT approval period ends. You cannot continue working without an updated CPT I-20.

Do I need to update my address if I will be living at a new address during my CPT?

Yes you must always update CISS if you move – it is the law. You should update your address in your MyBentley account.

Do my CPT start/end dates have to be within the semester start/end dates?

Yes. Unless you have a specific reason to extend your CPT dates or start early, your internship dates should fall within the semester. For Summer CPT, CISS can authorize you to begin your internship as soon as the spring semester classes have concluded, and as late as the day before the start of the fall semester at Bentley, subject to approval by your academic department.

 Does CPT affect my ability to do OPT in the future?

No. Your ability to apply for OPT is NOT impacted unless you have had 365 days of full-time CPT.

Do I need a job offer to apply?

Yes. CPT can only be authorized for a specific position, at a specific location, during specific dates. As stated, the internship offer letter must accompany the CPT application to CISS, on company letterhead, with a brief position description, dates, and hours per week.

What if my employment is through a contract or temporary agency?

Your letter of employment can come from the contracting/talent acquisition agency, but must include all of the above information in addition to the official name of the agency. On your I-20, your place of employment will be listed as Contracting Agency/Company of Employment.

Can I change employers after beginning my CPT internship experience?

At Bentley, each unique internship experience must be tied to an internship course. This means that each new employment experience must correspond to a separate, unique academic course. It is not possible to change the employer name for the same CPT authorization. If you are terminated or experience another type of unforeseen circumstance, you must contact CISS immediately.

What if I need to stop working before I have met the requirements of my internship course?

Stopping employment after CPT has begun has implications for both the academic course and the student's SEVIS record. If a student must stop CPT-related work prior to the end of the internship the student may, after contacting CISS: 

• Accept a failing grade 

• Accept an incomplete grade (if academically possible) 

• Find a new internship/ experience that meets requirements to meet deliverables, hourly requirements, etc. of internship course (in the case of termination or otherwise unforeseen circumstances that would require employer change)

• Withdraw from the internship course. The student should not drop the course until the student has stopped reporting to work. Student should keep documentation re: a) date course was dropped b) date employment stopped and c) reason for cessation from employment. The student will receive a “W” on their transcript.