Skip to main content

Need-Based Grants

Grant funds are awarded based on financial need and do not have to be repaid. Bentley offers grants from the university, as well as federal and state sources. If you have financial need, you may receive funding from one or more of the sources listed below.

Bentley University Grants

The Office of Financial Assistance determines the total amount of your need-based grant funding according to federal and institutional formulas. Bentley scholarships, along with federal and state grants, are counted toward this total first. If these awards do not meet your total grant eligibility, Bentley Grant funds are awarded to meet your remaining grant eligibility. Therefore, changes in your eligibility for state and federal grants will affect the amount of grant funding you receive from Bentley. Ineligibility for Bentley need-based grant funds in one academic year does not preclude you from receiving institutional grant funding in other years if your financial need increases.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is made available by the federal government to students with extremely high financial need and does not have to be repaid. Annual award amounts are determined each year by the federal government.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The SEOG is funding provided to Bentley by the federal government. It is only awarded to students who have Federal Pell Grant eligibility and is considered part of your Bentley grant eligibility. This grant does not have to be repaid. The award range is generally $100 to $2,000.

State Grants and Scholarships

State grants and scholarships may be awarded to you by the state in which you have established permanent residency. Each state that has a scholarship and/or grant program has its own application procedure and deadlines. Not all states have portable programs, meaning that you may not be able to use a state scholarship for attendance at an out-of-state school. For Massachusetts residents, Bentley will estimate your eligibility for the MassGrant program. For students from other states, Bentley will receive information from your state agency regarding eligibility, if your state program is portable. This notification usually comes during the summer months.

Falcon Grants

Bentley University athletic programs are NCAA Division II, with the exception of ice hockey, which competes in Division I. Athletics-related Falcon Grants may be available to students who demonstrate financial need for all sports except basketball and ice hockey (which have some funding that is not need-related). Please contact the coach of the sport you are interested in playing to inquire about the possibility of athletics-related financial aid.