Skip to main content

Risk Management

Automobile Liability

Bentley University’s Automobile Policy provides coverage for University's employees and students while driving University-owned, leased or rented vehicles. 

 The University’s policy for the use of University-owned vehicles is:

  1. Vehicles are to be used only by authorized employees and students possessing valid and applicable licenses.
  2. A Motor Vehicle Application must be submitted and approved prior to driving.
  3. Use of vehicles is confined to University business.
  4. Transport of passengers, other than employees or affiliates, is prohibited.

Failure to adhere to these rules could result in uninsured losses and expenses.

Department managers can only rent vehicles for six months or less and must contact the Purchasing Department (x3456) when renting vehicles for more than one month. If you require vehicles for longer than six months, you must contact the Purchasing Department since the vehicle must be leased or purchased. Insurance does not need to be purchased for rental vehicles in the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico. The university’s preferred vendor for rental vehicles is Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 140 Moody Street, Waltham, MA 02452, 781.894.6770.

When renting a vehicle, you must make sure that you include Bentley University’s name on the rental agreement or there may be no insurance provided through Bentley University’s insurance policy.

All employees of the University that drive a Bentley University owned, leased or rented vehicle must complete a Vehicle Use Application, a state specific three page form that cannot be two sided, and receive approval before driving. Employees who are required to drive for their job will need to complete and application and be approved every two years. 

All applications need to be renewed every two years (or as requested by Risk Management).  A photocopy of a valid driver’s license must be included with the application in order to have a Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check completed. If you are a permanent resident of Massachusetts, you must provide a copy of a valid Massachusetts license. If you are not sure if you need to change your license to a MA license, please refer to the link below.

Vehicle Use Applications also apply to employees that use their personal vehicles on a regular basis for Bentley business. Employees using their personal vehicles for Bentley University business use must maintain a minimum of $300,000 auto liability coverage on their personal insurance policy. 

Bentley’s policy serves as excess insurance coverage over an Employee’s Automobile Policy Limits when these vehicles are used for University business. University limits are $1,000,000 for liability and are subject to a $1,000 deductible for physical damage. The most notable exclusions on this policy are the use of a University vehicle for personal reasons and driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Please note the use of personal vehicles for university business is discouraged because:

  • At the time of the accident it is often difficult to determine whether the person was on personal business or University business.
  • If an accident occurred, the employee would have to submit the claim to their insurer for payment and the University’s insurance would only be used if the employee’s limits were not high enough.
  • Employees are required to have minimum limits of $100,000/$300,000 and submit proof of this coverage prior to using their personal vehicle for University business. Please submit a copy of your policy limits with your vehicle use application.

Students that drive Bentley University owned, leased or rented vehicle must complete a state specific, three page Motor Vehicle Application (cannot be two sided), including a photocopy of a valid driver’s license and receive approval before driving for the University.  Applications will expire each year and a new application must be completed and approved before the student can drive again. All students driving an insured vehicle (owned or leased by the University) must be 18 years of age or older.  The rental company used by Bentley University requires students to be at least 21 years of age to rent a vehicle.

After completing a Vehicle Use Application, these forms must be sent to the Risk Management Office, Rauch 028.  It will take approximately two weeks for applications to be processed.  The application is sent to our vendor, Intellicorp so a driving record check can be completed. Once the check is received from Intellicorp, it is evaluated. If the person’s record falls under the “poor” or “borderline” category, the application will be denied and that person will not be able to drive any Bentley owned, leased or rented vehicles.  All driving privileges will be suspended immediately. 

Below is a matrix to determine the person’s rating.

Number of accidents (last three years)

Number of Violations

(last three years)*






































Any major violation in the last three years is automatically a “poor” MVR.

Major Violations:

  • Driving under the influence of liquor or drugs
  • Driving while impaired
  • Reckless driving
  • Careless driving or racing/speed contest
  • Failure to report an accident
  • Making a false accident report
  • Vehicular homicide or manslaughter
  • Attempting to elude a police officer
  • Driving while license is suspended or revoked


Policy Coverage:

What does the University’s Auto Policy cover?

The University’s Auto Liability Policy provides a $1,000,000 in combined single limit coverage for each occurrence, including legal fees.

Comprehensive coverage for theft, glass breakage and fire loss to the insured vehicle collision (physical damage) coverage is optional and specifically requested for each vehicle.

In addition, this policy will serve as excess liability insurance coverage over:

  • Employee’s automobile policy if employee regularly uses his/her vehicle on University business and if the employee has received authorization by his/her department manager.

Authorized Drivers:

How does an employee/student become authorized to operate a University vehicle?

The department manager is responsible for having each person that will be driving for the University complete and submit a Vehicle Use Application and copy of their valid driver’s license to the Risk Management Office, Rauch 028 or FAX# 781-891-2260. 

Buying, Selling, or Leasing a Vehicle:

What if a department wants to buy, sell or lease a vehicle?

The department should contact the Purchasing Department at 781-891-3456 for instructions prior to buying, selling or leasing a vehicle.  A copy of the new registration must be forwarded to The Risk Management Department, Rauch 028.

Who holds the title for the vehicle?

The titles for all University-owned vehicles, registered in Massachusetts, are held by the Risk Management Office.  Departments should contact The Risk Management Office, Rauch 028 or PHONE# 781-891-2226 or FAX# 781-891-2260  to arrange for pick up of title for a vehicle that is being sold or traded-in.  This should be arranged through the Purchasing Department.

Registrations & Vehicle Fines:

Who is responsible for renewing registrations?

The Risk Management Office processes all MA registration renewals.  If a department receives a registration renewal application it should be sent to the Risk Management Office for processing. 

Are motor vehicle fines, speeding tickets, parking tickets, etc. covered by insurance?

No.  It is the individual’s responsibility to pay any motor vehicle fines or tickets.  Employees and Students are expected to drive according to the laws and regulations in each state and city they drive in.  Failure to pay the required fines could result in non-renewal of all registrations for that department’s vehicles and/or having the vehicle towed or booted at the department’s expense.

Accident Procedures:

What should a driver do if an accident occurs?

In the event an accident occurs the driver should do the following:

  2. Exchange vehicle information with the other driver-name, address, license number, plate number, year, make, model of car, name of Insurance Company.
  3. If necessary, contact the local police.
  4. Report all accidents immediately to Campus Police at 781-891-3131.
  5. Campus Police will submit an Accident Report Form to the Risk Management Department.
  6. If a Bentley employee is injured, he/she should file a report with the Department of Human Resources – Worker’s Compensation.

What does an employee/student do if the other driver’s insurance company contacts him/her at work or at home about a University owned, leased or rented vehicle?

The employee (driver) should send all correspondence and /or refer all telephone calls to the Risk Management Department, 781-891-2226.  The employee should not discuss the accident with anyone except a Bentley University representative and/or a representative of the University’s insurance company.

What if the employee receives a summons and complaint?

If the employee receives a summons and complaint, he/she should deliver these papers to the Risk Management Department immediately so the necessary steps can be taken to file a response with the court.

What if an accident occurs to an employee’s personal vehicle while on University business?

The employee should do the following:

  1. Submit an accident report as soon as possible to the employee’s Insurance Company.  The employee’s automobile policy is the primary insurance.
  1. Send a copy of the accident report to the Risk Management Department, Rauch 028.  The University’s automobile policy will provide excess insurance in the event the employee’s policy reaches its policy limit.
  1. Employee must provide Risk Management Department with a letter from the department head stating the purpose of the employee’s business trip and confirming that the accident occurred on University business.

Will the employee’s collision deductible be reimbursed if the accident occurred while on University business?

It depends on who is at fault.  The employee must submit proof of his/her Auto Policy deductible and this can either be a copy of the policy declaration page or a letter from his/her Insurance Company.  Once the employee has had the vehicle repaired and can show proof of payment of deductible, copy of cancelled check (both sides) or credit card statement, the employee can submit this documentation to the Risk Management Office who will then process the reimbursement.


Employees are instructed to decline the optional CDW coverage (physical damage coverage) when renting a vehicle for University business and traveling in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada. 

Collision Damage coverage should be purchased when traveling in other countries.

If an accident occurs the employee should:

  1. Submit an accident report, as soon as possible, to the Rental Company and file a report with Campus Police.
  2. Provide the Risk Management Department with a letter from the department head stating the purpose of the employee’s business trip and confirming that the accident occurred on University business.
  3. Forward to the Risk Management Department any correspondence received from the Rental Company regarding the vehicle’s damage.

After this information is received, the Risk Management Department will then take the necessary steps to reimburse the rental company.

When should an employee decline the Collision Damage Waiver or Limited Damage Waiver?

The Collision Damage Waiver should be declined when an employee is renting a vehicle for University business and traveling in the United States and Canada.  When traveling outside of these countries, the required local insurance and physical damage insurance must be purchased. 

Should the CDW be declined if the employee uses the rental vehicle for personal use (i.e. sightseeing, vacation) before or after the scheduled business?

If an employee decides to use the rental vehicle for personal reasons on the days before or after the scheduled business, then the employee must decide to either purchase the collision damage coverage on the vehicle or be responsible for any loss or damage to the rental vehicle.




A driver must file an accident report with the Campus Police as soon as possible after the accident.  It must include the following information:


#2        DATE & TIME OF LOSS                 Date and time of the accident.

#3        INSURED VEHICLE SECTION     Information on University vehicle.

                                                                        Complete entire section.

#4        PROPERTY DAMAGED                 Information on other vehicle.

                                                                        Complete entire section.

#5        INJURED SECTION                         Fill out if anybody was physically injured.

#6        WITNESSES/PASSENGER             Fill out accordingly.

#7        REPORTED BY /DATE                    Authorized driver’s name.

#8        REPORTED TO                                 Supervisor’s or manager’s signature.

#9        LOSS SECTION                                Location and description of accident.