If you are bringing a computer to campus that was not purchased through Bentley’s computer purchase program, the computer you bring to campus should meet Bentley’s required minimum computer configuration below. If you choose to bring your own computer remember to bring all of your computer documentation, software media, and warranty information with you to campus. These materials serve as essential resources and may be needed by Bentley’s repair services group to assist in solving computer problems that may arise. Bentley has chosen the following computer specifications to ensure that you can take full advantage of Bentley’s computing environment:
- Windows 10 or 11 Professional Operating System (Windows 11 preferred)
- Intel i5 processor or better
- 16 GB RAM or more
- 256 GB hard drive or more, solid-state drive (SSD) strongly recommended
- At least 2 USB or USB-C ports
- 1920 x 1080 display or better
- Built-in keyboard
- Wi-Fi capability*
- 3-year warranty (4-year warranty preferred)
- 3-year accidental damage protection (4-year protection preferred)
- Anti-virus (Windows Defender is included with Windows 10 and 11 Pro)
*Laptops, desktops and gaming machines must include wireless (Wi-Fi) networking capability as there are no active ethernet ports to plug into in the dorm rooms or classrooms.
Tablets and other devices:
Certain devices are not able to be modified to meet the needs of your Bentley courses including tablets, iPads and Chromebooks – attempting to complete Bentley coursework on these devices can result in missing content, connection trouble, and the inability to install required software, among other possible issues.
Things to consider before bringing a Mac:
While not recommended, if you choose to use a Mac computer, certain courses require Windows-only applications. These courses include CS 100, GB 310 and other Accounting (AC) Computer Information Systems (CS), Information Process Management (IPM) and Finance (FI) courses.
If you choose to use a Mac, Bentley cannot guarantee compatibility with Windows-only applications for certain courses. Students with Macs may need to purchase and install additional software to use Windows-only applications in order to complete course requirements.
- Some Windows applications are available through Bentley Virtual Apps (BVA), a virtual Windows environment. Go to the Bentley Virtual Apps page for more BVA information.
If you need a Windows-based academic application that is not available via BVA, you will need to install Parallels for a fee and meet all hardware and software requirements for the applications.
All students benefit from:
- A student license for Microsoft 365
- Installing Microsoft 365 apps on up to 5 personal devices
- Convenient access to computer hardware repair.
- Help Desk support for Microsoft 365, academic software, Wi-Fi, and printing