If you are bringing a computer to campus that was not purchased through Bentley’s computer purchase program, the computer you bring to campus should meet Bentley’s required minimum computer configuration below. If you choose to bring your own computer remember to bring all of your computer documentation, software media, and warranty information with you to campus. These materials serve as essential resources and may be needed by Bentley’s repair services group to assist in solving computer problems that may arise. Bentley has chosen the following computer specifications to ensure that you can take full advantage of Bentley’s computing environment.
- Windows 10 Professional Operating System
- Intel i5 processor or better
- 16 GB RAM or more
- 256 GB hard drive or more, solid-state drive (SSD) strongly recommended
- At least 2 USB or USB-C ports
- 1920 x 1080 display or better
- Built-in keyboard
- Headphones with built-in microphone*
- 3-year warranty
- 3-year accidental damage protection
- Anti-virus (Windows Defender is included with Windows 10 Pro)
*In order to provide for remote learning, it is expected that you have a set of headphones with a built-in microphone to attend class remotely or when attending class in-person for Zoom breakout rooms. These can be in-ear headphones (ear buds) or over the ear headphones. The microphone can be built into the cable or attached to the headset. The headphones can be wired (USB or 3.5 mm) or wireless.
Tablets and other devices:
Certain devices are not able to be modified to meet the needs of your Bentley courses including tablets, iPads and Chromebooks – attempting to complete Bentley coursework on these devices can result in missing content, connection trouble, and the inability to install required software, among other possible issues.
Things to consider before bringing a Mac:
While not recommended, if you choose to use a Mac computer, certain courses require Windows-only applications. These courses include IT 101, GB 310 and other Accounting (AC) Computer Information Systems (CS), Information Process Management (IPM) and Finance (FI) courses.
If you choose to use a Mac, Bentley cannot guarantee compatibility with Windows-only applications for certain courses. Students with Macs may need to purchase and install additional software to use Windows-only applications in order to complete course requirements.
- Some Windows applications are available through Bentley Virtual Apps (BVA), a virtual Windows environment. Go to the Bentley Virtual Apps page for more BVA information.
If you need a Windows-based academic application that is not available via BVA, you will need to install Parallels for a fee.
All students benefit from:
- A student license for Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Office through Office 365 on your personal computer
- Convenient access to computer hardware repair.
- Help Desk support for Office 365, academic software, Wi-Fi, and printing