You are here


Before heading to the airport, sit down with your family and make a plan for how to get in contact upon your arrival overseas. Make sure that they have a copy of your itinerary and keep in mind that you might not be able to contact them immediately depending on how accessible internet is.

Cell Phones

It is a good idea to buy a pay-as-you-go cell phone when in your host country. Most countries provide short-term plans that are flexible and affordable. Having a local cell phone is not only convenient and cost effective but can also be an asset in case of an emergency. Students may also decide to unlock their smart phone and use a local provider, or purchase an international plan. Whichever option you choose, it is very important that our staff be able to contact you in the event of an emergency back home or abroad. Please make sure to enter your cell phone or a different phone number in which you can be reached in case of emergency, into BentleyAbroad.

Enter all emergency contacts into your cell phone, such as the Office of International Education, Bentley Campus Police, on-site emergency phone numbers and so on. Emergency numbers differ for each country (usually not “911”), so learn the appropriate number for your destination.


Most host institutions have a computer facility that is accessible to study abroad participants. However, the facilities may not be as state-of-the-art or as readily available as computer facilities at Bentley. Often, you must pay for paper when using academic computer labs or photocopying machines abroad. You should take your laptop computer with you abroad, but you must have an adapter for the power system. You should check with Client Services regarding power requirements for your equipment. Adapters should be purchased before departure.

For students in possession of a Windows notebook supplied by Bentley, you should run the Study Abroad Activation Utility before leaving campus. (This does not apply to Mac users). This utility will convert your MS Windows and Office licenses, so your notebook will remain functional while abroad. If you do not run this utility prior to leaving campus, the Windows Operating System and MS Office Software on your computer will stop working after an extended period of time being off of the Bentley network. If you are reading this message after leaving campus and you forgot to complete this important step, please contact the Help Desk at 781-891-3122 or


For hardware issues:
Please realize that Bentley is available to assist you with your computer related issues. However, due to shipping costs for which you are responsible, turnaround time, and customs clearance, sending your computer to Bentley for repair is not advisable. For guidance on how to troubleshoot hardware issues, please contact the Computing Services Help Desk by email or 781-891-3122.

For virus, software, and other assistance:
The Bentley University Help Desk is here for you even when you are thousands of miles away. Visit the Computing Services site, call at 781-891-3122, or simply send an email to If there appears to be viruses or malware on your notebook, these can usually be eradicated with Forefront which is already installed on your notebook.  Please ask for assistance if you are unsure how to proceed. 


Email is the official means of communication at Bentley. Therefore, you must check your Bentley account or forwarded account regularly. All students will have access to email facilities while they are abroad. However, it may take a few weeks to set up your email account, and you will not know your email address until then.

Travel away from host city

If you plan to travel while abroad, inform your family back home and your on-site coordinator. Leave them a copy of your itinerary or, at the very least, tell them when you are leaving, where you are staying and when you plan on returning. Make sure that your family, on-site coordinator and friends have your cell phone number or the phone numbers of places you will be staying. This information is vital in reaching you in case of an emergency. Update your profile on the U.S. Department of State web site if you will be traveling outside your host country.