Preparing for computing at Bentley
You can purchase a Lenovo computer that meets Bentley’s recommended standards at educational pricing. Learn how and why to purchase a Bentley recommended computer through Bentley’s Computer Purchase Program.
If you plan to bring a computer to campus that you did not purchase through Bentley’s Computer Purchase Program, it must meet Bentley’s minimum standard computer configuration.
On-campus computer repair services are available for both warranty and non-warranty computer repairs.
While not recommended, if you choose to use a Mac computer, certain courses require Windows-only applications. These courses include CS 100, GB 310 and other Accounting (AC) Computer Information Systems (CS), Information Process Management (IPM) and Finance (FI) courses.
If you choose to use a Mac, Bentley cannot guarantee compatibility with Windows-only applications for certain courses. Students with Macs may need to purchase and install additional software to use Windows-only applications in order to complete course requirements.
- Some Windows applications are available through Bentley Virtual Apps (BVA), a virtual Windows environment. Go to the Bentley Virtual Apps page for more BVA information.
If you need a Windows-based academic application that is not available via BVA, you will need to install Parallels for a fee.
Before you arrive on campus...
Log into your accounts to ensure that your credentials are working:
Install Microsoft Office (available to no cost for active Bentley students):
- Install Office on a Windows PC - This link will bring you to Microsoft’s support site where you will be instructed to sign-in using your Bentley credentials and then follow the instructions for installing Office 365.
Ensure that you have Antivirus Protection Installed and Active on your computer:
- Windows Defender is included as part of the Windows Professional operating system.
- Sophos Home for Macs is free and it is Bentley’s recommended standard for the Mac
After you arrive on campus...
- Connect to Wi-Fi
- Connect to campus printing (Falcon Print)
- Connect your gaming or smart device
Install Remote Desktop to access Bentley Virtual Apps (BVA) and run Windows-based applications from your Mac. If you are a Mac user, BVA is required for IT101 and it may also be needed for other Bentley courses.
- Connect to Xfinity on Campus (XOC) to stream cable on your PC, Mac, or other devices and app, and get instructions for connecting to a larger screen. NOTE: Comcast no longer supports physical coaxial cable connections on campus. If a physical connection is currently working, it is not guaranteed that it will continue to work and no repairs will be made if it stops working.