Bentley University is committed to promoting a safe environment for the entire community, as well as visitors to campus, and to ensuring that its academic mission is supported by well-qualified faculty and staff. The University is also committed to protecting its property, financial integrity, and other resources. The purpose of this policy is to support these commitments, which addresses the process of background checks conducted as a condition of employment.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. The type of background check will depend on the type of position applied to.
This policy applies to all candidates (faculty and staff) who are finalists for employment with Bentley, and may also apply to current employees in specific situations which are listed below. The following requirements will be applied depending upon the position the candidate is being considered for.
Employment History, Education, and Credentials
- All background checks will include verification of education credentials for positions that include an educational requirement.
- Verification of employment, title and dates of employment.
- Professional work references, including a minimum of two manager references and two non-manager references.
- All full-time Faculty will be required to provide official transcripts of the highest degree attained.
- A copy of a current license or registration must be provided to Human Resources, as well as verifying the accrediting or licensing authority, for positions that require professional certification and/or licensure.
For positions where an employee will be required to drive a Bentley University owned or issued vehicle:
Please first consult the Bentley University Vehicle Use Policy.
Candidates for employment:
- A copy of a current, valid driver’s license, which will be verified by Bentley’s insurance provider, to ensure that the candidate is insurable under our policy. As a condition of continuing employment, employees must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier.
Current Employees that are required to drive a Bentley University owned or issued vehicle:
- A copy of a current, valid driver’s license, which will be verified bi-annually, by Bentley’s insurance provider, to ensure that the driver’s license is still insurable or meets requirements.
- Employee must report any suspension or revocation immediately.
Candidates in Public Safety related positions:
Driver’s records will be required and reviewed by Bentley Police. Offers of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of this verification.
Criminal Background Checks
In addition to the verification requirements listed above, Bentley University will require Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) for any prospective and current employees, interns, volunteers, Independent Contractors or anyone else within certain criteria which includes:
Ø Anyone with card key access to dormitories.
Ø Anyone working with minors on or off campus (a minor is any person under the age of 18, excluding those enrolled at the University as full-time students). This includes, but is not limited to, coaches, camp counseling staff, faculty, students, volunteers, and contractors as well as anyone traveling with minors and on overnight stays with minors.
Ø Resident Hall Directors (RDs).
Ø University Police and other members of the Public Safety Department.
Ø Health Services.
Ø Employees within the Center for International Students and Scholars.
Sex Offender Registry Information check, or SORI equivalent check from other jurisdictions, will be required whenever a Criminal Background Check is required. In Massachusetts this refers to a record of convictions for specified sexual offenses committed as an adult or juvenile.
If anyone has questions about this policy they should contact their Human Resources Business Partner.