Skip to main content

Vehicle Use Policy

Bentley University's Vehicle Use Policy provides coverage for the University's employees and students while driving University-owned, leased or rented vehicles.

The University's policy for the use of University-owned vehicles is:

  • Vehicles are to be used only by authorized employees and students possessing valid and applicable licenses.
  • A Motor Vehicle Applications must be submitted and training (if applicable) must be completed prior to approval.
  • Use of vehicles is confined to University business.
  • Transport of passengers, other than employees or affiliates, is prohibited.

Failure to adhere to these rules could result in an uninsured loss and expenses.

Department managers can only rent vehicles for 6 months or less and must contact the Purchasing Department (x3456) when renting vehicles for more than one month. If you require vehicles for longer than 6 months, you must contact the Purchasing Department since the vehicle must be leased or purchased. Insurance does not need to be purchased for rental vehicles in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico. The University's preferred vendor for rental vehicles is:

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
140 Moody Street
Waltham, MA 02452

When renting a vehicle, you must make sure that you include Bentley University's name on the rental agreement or there will be no insurance provided through Bentley University's insurance policy.

All employees of the University that drive a Bentley University owned, leased or rented vehicle must complete a Vehicle Use Application and receive approval before driving and then an application will need to be completed annually (end of January). A photocopy of a valid driver's license must be included with the application in order to have a Motor Vehicle Registration (MVR) check completed. If you are a permanent resident of Massachusetts, you must provide a copy of a valid MASSACHUSETTS license. If you are not sure if you need to change your license to a MA license, please refer to the link below.

Vehicle Use Applications also apply to employees that use their personal vehicles on a regular basis for Bentley business. Employees using their personal vehicles for Bentley University business use must maintain a minimum of $300,000 auto liability coverage on their personal insurance policy.

Bentley's policy serves as excess insurance coverage over an Employee's Automobile Policy Limits when these vehicles are used for University business. University limits are $1,000,000 for liability and are subject to a $500 deductible for physical damage. The most notable exclusions on this policy are the use of a University vehicle for personal reasons and driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Please note the use of personal vehicles for University business is discouraged because:

  • At the time of the accident it is often difficult to determine whether the person was on personal business or University business.
  • If an accident occurred, the employee would have to submit the claim to their insurer for payment and the University's insurance would only be used if the employee's limits were not high enough.
  • Employees are required to have minimum limits of $100,000/$300,000 and submit proof of this coverage prior to using their personal vehicle for University business. Please submit a copy of your policy limits with your vehicle use application.

Students who drive Bentley University owned, leased or rented vehicle must complete a Vehicle Use Application including a photocopy of a valid driver's license and complete online and field training as well as receive approval before driving for the University. Applications are good for one semester and must be renewed at the beginning of every semester. All students driving an insured vehicle (owned or leased by the University) must be 18 years of age or older. The rental company used by Bentley University requires students to be at least 21 years of age to rent a vehicle.

After completing a Vehicle Use Application, this form must be sent to the Risk Management Office, Rauch 028. It will take approximately two weeks for applications to be processed then you will receive an email to begin your online training and field experience. The application is sent to Campus Police so a driving record check can be completed. Once the check is received from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, it is evaluated. If the person's record falls under the "poor" or "borderline" category, the application will be denied and that person will not be able to drive any Bentley owned, leased or rented vehicles. All driving privileges will be suspended immediately. Below is a matrix to determine the person's rating:

Number of accidents (last three years)        

Number of Violations (last three years)*

0 1 2 3
0 Clear Acceptable Borderline Poor
1 Acceptable Acceptable Borderline Poor
2 Acceptable Borderline Poor Poor
3 Borderline Poor Poor Poor
4 Poor Poor Poor Poor

Any major violation in the last three years is automatically a "poor" MVR.

Major Violations:

  • Driving under the influence of liquor or drugs
  • Driving while impaired
  • Reckless driving
  • Careless driving or racing/speed contest
  • Failure to report an accident
  • Making a false accident report
  • Vehicular homicide or manslaughter
  • Attempting to elude a police officer
  • Driving while license is suspended or revoked