Skip to main content

Policies and Procedures

Workday Notice

Please note:  Bentley has changed its process for sharing news about President and Dean’s List honorees with local media.  Students and families who wish to share news of their achievement with their hometown media can download a news release template here and send it to any news outlet they wish. Download the release here.

Academic Performance Declaring a LSM
Adding A Course Directed Study
Advanced Standing Credit (First-Years) Dropping A Course
Auditing A Course Graduation
Course Away Honor Code
Course Load/Overload Internships
Course Substitutions Pass/Fail
Credit Hours Registration
Cross-Registration Transfer Credit (Transfer Students)
Declaring or Changing a Major Tutorials

Academic Performance

The academic performance committee monitors overall academic performance and accumulated failures. Any student whose overall or term GPA is below 2.0 or who has excessive failures may be subject to academic warning, academic probation, suspension, dismissal or any other restriction the committee deems appropriate.

A first-year student whose overall average is less than 1.9, and a sophomore, junior, or senior whose overall average is less than 2.0, is placed on academic probation. Students failing more than six different courses are subject to permanent dismissal from the university.

The academic performance committee takes appropriate action depending on individual records and situations. Such actions include reducing the student’s course load, requiring various counseling activities, requiring attendance in the study skills course, suspension and, ultimately, dismissal from the university.

Students subject to such action are contacted individually and must follow the directions of the academic performance committee. Bentley assumes no responsibility for students who act contrary to the committee’s decisions. In addition, continued inadequate academic performance may affect a student’s eligibility for federal financial assistance.

A student on academic restriction is subject to review by the academic performance committee. A student on probation, whether academic or disciplinary, is strongly advised to review nonacademic commitments and to withdraw from those activities that are not essential to university life. Members of varsity athletic teams must attain a cumulative average required under NCAA rules to participate in the intercollegiate athletic program.

Students who are suspended (normally for a one-year period) may reapply in writing to the associate dean for academic services. The deadline for reapplication is March 1 for a fall semester re-entry and October 1 for a spring semester. Students must present evidence that they should be readmitted, and complete an academic contract with the Office of Academic Services.

Any student whose academic performance is below standard is strongly urged to maintain close contact with his or her academic advisor and the Office of Academic Services. Bentley and its academic and administrative staff are dedicated to helping students achieve their educational goals. However, it is the student who holds ultimate responsibility for success and who must take the appropriate steps to ensure that he or she remains in school.


Declaring or Changing a Major 

Policy: Students are encouraged to declare a major in the first semester of their sophomore year. Students may, however, change majors as often as they choose. 

Procedure for changing, adding, or dropping your program of study can be found in Workday.

Part-time evening students should have the form signed by an academic advisor in the Office of Academic Services.

Advising Issues: Because all BS majors, except Actuarial Science, Data Analytics, and Mathematical Sciences, share the same General Education and Business Core requirements, there is tremendous flexibility in changing a major prior to beginning major courses.  However, once students have begun a major, there are some logistical considerations: 

  • The major in Corporate Finance and Accounting and the major in Information Systems Audit and Control both have a 30-credit major requirement. The curriculum is somewhat complex because of the pre-requisite structure and will require careful planning. Also, these majors have only 1-2 open business-related electives.  All students should be encouraged to meet with a departmental adviser.  
  • Management and Marketing majors have two business-related electives in the major, and include two unrestricted electives and 1-2 business-related electives. Therefore, these programs, along with Managerial Economics, are the most accommodating for later major changes.  
  • The Managerial Economics major combines economics with a variety of other concentrations.  
  • Accountancy, Corporate Finance and Accounting, Computer Information Systems, and Information Systems Audit and Control involve a relatively lock-step progression through their major courses. See degree requirements under Majors and Minors and with a departmental advisers for assistance in planning for these majors. 
  • BA Majors may complete no more than 25 percent of their course work (10 courses) through business courses.

top of page

Other Resources:

Major selection workshops are scheduled each semester through the Office of Academic Services and the Academic Advising Center.  See the program schedule for upcoming events.

The academic advisors in the Academic Advising Center are available to speak with students and are able to create degree requirement summaries for a variety of majors so that students will know how their courses will fit into a new program. 

Career Services provides a wide variety of career development services - personal counseling, workshops, on-line services - to assist students in making the connection between their major and possible careers.

top of page


Adding or Dropping Courses

Adding Courses:

Policy: Students may add courses through the first week of the semester only. Courses may be dropped through the second week. If a course is dropped during the second week, a student's tuition may be impacted. See Adding/Dropping or Swapping a Class in Workday for more information. 

Procedure: Courses may be added, dropped or swapped through Workday. Tip: using the "swap" function in Workday protects your current registration if you are not successful in adding a new course. Students must obtain the approval of the department chair to add a course that is closed. 

Students with Financial Holds: A student with a financial hold may not add courses to his or her schedule without first meeting with Student Financial Services. Students may drop courses, but they must do so in person at the Registrar's Office by completing a Course Change form. 

Withdrawing from Courses:

Policy: Students may withdraw from courses during the first two-thirds of the semester. These withdrawal deadlines are strictly enforced.

Procedures: Students may withdraw from a course in Workday or by filing a "Course Change Form" with the Registrar's Office (RAU 111). Students are not required to have sign-off from faculty instructors. Under extenuating circumstances (e.g., serious illness), students may petition the Office of Academic Services for a late withdrawal.

Advising Issues: While there are certainly legitimate reasons to withdraw from a course, students may find it worthwhile to explore opportunities for additional academic support to be able to succeed: working with the course instructor, seeking help through the Learning Center, and obtaining one-on-one tutoring may be advisable. Some red flags: 

Withdrawing from a course could:

  • impact financial aid (refer student to financial aid counselor). 
  • delay completion of an important course pre-requisite, thus jeopardizing timely completion of a necessary sequence. 
  • put a student in violation of the course attempt policy.

top of page


Course Substitutions

Policy: Any student may substitute another course for a failed elective. While only the new course grade will calculate into the students GPA, all courses and grades continue to appear on the transcript.

Procedure: Student must fill out a "Course Substitution Form" at the Registrar's Office (RAU 111).

top of page

Credit Hours

Bentley University follows Federal regulations and New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) guidelines in the definition of credit hours. At Bentley, one credit hour "reasonably approximates not less than: (1) One hour of classroom or direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for approximately fifteen weeks for one semester, or the equivalent amount of work over a different amount of time.”

top of page


Auditing Courses

Policy: For Undergraduate Students Only. Audit status is given for a course in which students participate, and for which they pay full tuition, but do not earn credit. A student is permitted to audit any course being offered by the university provided he or she obtains permission from the instructor. Students may take the examinations for the course, but receive no credit for them.

Procedure: Audit must be declared before the end of the third week of classes with the requirements for the retention of such status to be spelled out by the individual instructor to the student. If the requirements are not fulfilled, the AU can be changed to a W. After the first three weeks, the AU cannot status cannot be changed to a credit status. Audit forms must be filed with the Registrar's Office.

top of page



As Bentley attracts more highly qualified students and offers a greater range of challenging courses, the pass/fail option has become a way for interested students to risk taking elective courses that are intellectually challenging without jeopardizing their GPA as long as they pass the course as defined below.

Policy:  Available to second, third, and fourth year students.

  • The pass fail option can be used for one (1) course in your Bentley curriculum.
  • A pass/fail option can only be used for courses that are Business electives, Arts and Science electives, or Unrestricted electives.
  • Students are not permitted to use pass/fail grades toward their General Education, Business Core and Major requirements.
  • That pass/fail option may be used for courses taken in a minor.
  • That pass/fail option may not be used for Honors courses.
  • Certain BA majors are not able to use the Pass/Fail option for the Business minor.
  • 5-year students are restricted from taking pre-program required courses or courses for advanced credits standing as pass/fail.
  • Students may not use the pass/fail option for courses taken in Bentley-sponsored education abroad programs.
  • Students may not use the pass/fail option for internships, directed studies, tutorials, SL 120, SL 121, or study tour courses.
  • An academic department may request that a particular course be excluded from the pass/fail option.  Exclusions are noted with “not eligible for P/F” along with course prerequisites on the on-line course listings and in the registration booklet.


Grading Scale:

  • Faculty will submit alphabetical grades that will be converted by the Registrar's Office. The pass/fail designation will be updated after all grades are received. For more information on the Pass/Fail policy, see the University catalogue.
  • When converting numerical grades, students electing this option will receive a grade of "P", "D", or "F".
    • A "P" (equal to or better than a C-) will earn academic credit and is not calculated in the term and cumulative GPA.
    • A "D" (D- to D+) will earn academic credit and is calculated in the term and cumulative GPA. A grade value of 1.0 will be used in calculating the term and cumulative GPA.
    • An "F" will not earn academic credit and is calculated in term and cumulative GPA. 


  • Students must complete and sign a Pass/Fail Declaration Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. Forms are available at the Registrar's Office and online in the virtual kiosk.
  • The form must be received prior to the end of the add/drop period. No faculty member or department chair can waive this deadline.

The decision is irrevocable.  Be sure to check the accuracy of your declaration. No changes will be permitted after the deadline.

top of page



Policy: Bentley confers degrees three times per year, matching the date of the meetings of the Board of Trustees:

  • Students completing requirements in the summer session are considered October/November graduates;
  • Students completing requirements in the fall semester or wintersession are considered February/March graduates;
  • Students completing requirements in the spring semester are considered May graduates.

Bachelor's degree students may participate in the May commencement exercises as "walkers" if they are within 6 credits of completing their graduation requirements, as long as all other criteria are met (i.e., overall and major GPA are 2.0 or higher, all financial obligations have been met). The actual degree will be conferred and graduation honors determined when all course work has been completed.

Associate degree recipients must complete all degree requirements to participate in commencement exercises.

Concentration certificate students do not participate in the formal commencement, but are conferred once all requirements are met.

Procedures: All degree and certificate recipients must apply for program completion with the Registrar's Office through Workday. Applications are due early in the semester in which courses are to be completed - see the Academic Calendar for specific dates. Late applications will be subject to late fees of $50 or $100.

top of page



All continuing students register through Workday:

Full-time Students:  
Fall Registration:  Preceding April 
Spring Registration: Preceding November 
Summer Registration: Preceding April through start of Summer II

Students access web registration grouped by class standing and alpha categories.

Fall Registration:  Begins late July
Wintersession/Spring: Begins early December 
Summer I and II:   Begins mid-April

Course Prerequisites

All undergraduate students enrolled in degree programs are screened for satisfactory completion of pre- and co-requisites, including class standing. Under extenuating circumstances, department chairs may waive a prerequisite. 

Window Policy

The window policy permits students slightly short of class standing requirements to enroll for upper-level business courses as follows:

Second year standing 21 credits 
Third year standing 51 credits 
Fourth year standing 81 credits

top of page


Course Load/Overload Policy

Policy: Standard course load is defined as follows:

Full-time day students: 12 to 16.5 credits

Undergraduate students may take a course overload of 18 credits without permission if their cumulative GPA is 2.7 or higher (Fourth year with a GPA of 2.0 or higher). Undergraduate students with a GPA below 2.7 must obtain permission to take an overload. New students may not register for 18 hours until they have completed one semester of study at Bentley.

Procedure: Submit a written petition to the Office of Academic Services during the Drop/Add period.

top of page


Transfer Credit (Transfer Students)

Policy: Any 3-credit course (semester hours) from an accredited college or university in which a student has received a grade of C (2.0) or higher is potentially transferable. Courses are evaluated for content comparability.  For additional details, please see the Transfer Credit guidelines for transfer students.

Procedure: Transfer credit is evaluated by the Undergraduate Admission Office. Students must submit official transcripts from their previous institution. If a course has not been previously evaluated by the University, a course description or syllabus may be requested.  Appeals of transfer credit may be directed to the Associate Dean in the Office of Academic Services (x2803).


Advanced Standing Credit (First-Years)

Policy: See Undergraduate Admission for detailed information.

Procedure: Advanced standing credit is evaluated by the Undergraduate Admission Office. Students must submit official documentation from the issuing institution. Appeals of Advanced Standing Credit may be directed to the Associate Dean of First Year Programs (x2803)


top of page



Student Eligibility for credit internships:

  • Third year or forth year level standing—see department guidelines for specific course prerequisites
  • Minimum GPA of 3.0 (Finance 2.7 and IDCC is 3.3)
  • Approval of departmental internship coordinator prior to acceptance of internship

Tuition: All internships that are approved for credit will be assessed tuition. Internship courses are subject to all tuition refund deadlines as well as the deadline policies for add, drop, and withdrawal.

Course requirements vary by department, but usually include weekly journals, a term paper, and meetings with the internship coordinator. Minimum work hours are established by individual departments, ranging from a minimum of 12 hours per week for 12 weeks to 35 hours per week for Fall, Spring, or Summer sessions. Internships last for one semester only or through the full Summer Sessions and end when the semester ends.

Maximum credits: Students may pursue a maximum of two 3-credit internships during the undergraduate program.  Only one internship (3 credits) can be used in your major field of study.

Registration: Students should register for an internship during registration period and must register no later than the "add/drop" period of the semester during which the work is done, unless otherwise approved by the Internship Coordinator. That is, if you are working during the summer, you must officially register for a summer internship.  Departmental Internship coordinators can be found here.

Not all internships are considered credit-worthy, and not all students qualify to pursue an internship for credit. It is important that you meet with the appropriate internship coordinator to determine what sort of internship opportunity is available to you. The Office of Career Services can also provide you with resources to help you find a suitable internship.

For financial reasons, many companies are now offering internships only if they are awarded credit. This is designed primarily to allow companies to offer unpaid internships without tax consequences. Students who participate in The Career Development Seminar (CDI 101) are eligible to undertake a one-credit internship (CDI 102) managed by Undergraduate Career Services. Please Note:  The credit you receive through CDI 102 does not go toward your graduation requirements.

top of page


Directed Study

Policy: Qualified students can, under the guidance of a faculty member, undertake directed study to conduct in-depth investigation or analysis of a specialized topic. To be eligible, students must have a 3.0 cumulative average; or a 3.3 cumulative average for the previous two semesters; or a 3.3 cumulative average in at least 12 credit hours within the curriculum area the directed study will be done. Students may not take more than two directed study courses in any semester. Students may apply directed study credits only as electives, or, with departmental permission, as credit for major courses.

Procedure: Interested students should submit a directed study proposal in writing to the appropriate faculty member. Upon faculty approval, the proposal, along with a petition, is forwarded from approval to the department chairperson and the associate undergraduate dean.

top of page



Policy: Tutorials enable students to complete a regular course when it is not offered in the university's schedule. All academic regulations apply to tutorials, and students register under the course's regular catalogue number.

Procedure: To initiate a tutorial, students must have a special need for the proposed course, e.g., the course is needed to complete a degree at a particular time. Approvals are required from the appropriate faculty member, department chairperson and associate undergraduate dean.

top of page


Bentley Honor Code

The Bentley Honor Code formally acknowledges the necessity for students to take responsibility for their own ethical behavior. Through this code, all students are expected to maintain academic integrity in their own work. In addition, students are expected to take responsible action when there is a reason to suspect academic dishonesty. Success of the code depends upon each student’s good will to care enough for other students to counsel them to abandon dishonesty for their own sake and that of the community. Thus, the Honor Code asks all students to share responsibility for maintaining the integrity of Bentley academics. The students of Bentley, in a spirit of mutual trust and fellowship, aware of the values of a true education and the challenges posed by the world, do hereby pledge to accept the responsibility for honorable conduct in all academic activities, to assist one another in maintaining and promoting personal integrity, to abide by the principles set forth in the Honor Code, and to follow the procedures and observe the policies set forth in the Academic Integrity System.

top of page