Skip to main content

University Life

Student Conduct Off-Campus Resources

Off-Campus specific policies

Below is information for off-campus students. As a reminder, all Bentley policies apply to all students regardless of their address. For additional information, please visit Student Handbook.


Students may be charged by the university for misconduct off campus if the individual or organization is accused of violating local, state or federal laws or Bentley policies, rules or procedures. In such instances, the Student Conduct Staff will review the conduct and determine whether they warrant referral to the Bentley Conduct System. Students may be held accountable for violating policy wherever they are located, be it on campus, off campus, while abroad or while home on break.


Students in off-campus apartments or houses should demonstrate respect and concern for both their neighborhood and the Bentley community. The university may refer any student(s) identified as being involved in conduct that violates Bentley rules, regulations, policies and procedures to the Bentley Conduct System for disciplinary action. Events held off campus by Bentley students or student organizations are expected to be in compliance with all campus policies. Students or student organizations hosting the event are responsible for ensuring behavior that reflects well upon that community. Event hosts can be held responsible for their guests' safety and actions both on and off campus. Failure to comply with campus policies may result in disciplinary action against the individuals and/or the sponsoring organization.


Bentley organizations and individuals sponsoring off-campus functions are considered representatives of the campus community and are responsible for ensuring behavior that reflects well upon that community. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action against the individuals and/or the organization.

  • The university does not accept legal or financial obligations incurred by campus organizations or individuals choosing to hold functions off campus that are not officially sponsored by the university; the person entering into agreement with the representatives(s) of the organization for the use of their premises by that organization should be informed of this position.
  • Organizations or individuals may not use the Bentley name in any promotional material distributed off campus unless approved in advance by the Office of Student Programs and Engagement.
  • Organizations or individuals can be held accountable for the behavior of individuals attending their events even if that event is held at an establishment other than Bentley University.


Students enrolled in a study abroad program, through Bentley or another third party, may be charged with violating Bentley policy during their time abroad. While abroad, students are encouraged to review the policies and guidelines of the school they are visiting.

Local Contacts


Waltham PD:

Chief's Office: (781) 314-3500 
Administrative/Training: (781) 314-3520 
Community Services: (781) 314-3580 
Detectives: (781) 314-3550 
Operations: (781) 314-3600 
Non-Emergency: (781) 893-3700 

Waltham City Codes:

Section 10-6 Noise

  • Yelling, shouting, etc. Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing on the public streets at any place that causes a condition of noise pollution from 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.
  • Loudspeakers. Operating or causing to be operated a public address loudspeaker, whether mobile or stationary, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., or at any other time without the written permission of the Chief of Police or his designee.



Watertown PD:

Phone: 617-972-6500 

Watertown City Codes: 

Chapter 95: Noise Regulations 




Belmont PD:

Non-Emergency (617) 484-1212 

Belmont Bylaws:


Exterior Noise Standards

It shall be unlawful for any person at any location within the area of the Town to create any loud noise, or to allow the creation of any noise, on property owned, leased, occupied or otherwise controlled by such person, which causes the sound level when measured on any other property to exceed the greater of:


The maximum allowable exterior sound level outlined in Table I; or


Five dB over the background sound level.


Table I, Maximum Allowable Exterior Sound Level


Noise Zone

Daytime Level 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

Nighttime Level 10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.



55 dBA

45 dBA



65 dBA

60 dBA



Lexington PD:

Non-Emergency : 781-862-1212

Lexington Laws: 

Ch. 80 – Noise Control


A determination that excessive or unwarranted noise is caused by a given noise source will be made in accordance with the definition of "noise level" in § 80-3.


To determine if there is a noise violation on private property, the noise measurements shall be made at the boundary of the property in which the offending sound source is located. To determine if there is a noise violation in public spaces, the noise measurements shall be made at any location a passerby might lawfully occupy.


Newton PD:

Non-Emergency: (617)796-2100 

Newton Laws:

Article 2, Noise:

(7) Between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. no person or persons shall disturb the peace by causing or allowing to be made any unreasonable or excessive noise, including but not limited to such noise resulting from the operation of any electronic device, or from the playing of any band or orchestra, or from the making of excessive outcries, exclamations, or loud singing or any other excessive noise by a person or group of persons, provided however, that any performance, concert, establishment, band group or person who has received and maintains a valid license or permit from any department, board, or commission of the City of Newton authorized to issue such license or permit shall be exempt from the provisions of this section. Unreasonable or excessive noise for the purposes of this section shall be defined as 5dB(A) or more above background level when measured not closer than the lot line of a residential lot or from the nearest affected dwelling unit.

Bentley Resources for Off-Campus Students

Bentley Off-Campus Housing Website

Looking for off-campus housing?