You are here

Information for Faculty and Staff

As a faculty or staff member, you may find that students share sensitive information about unhealthy/abusive relationships or sexual assault. You may also have concerns about a student based on behavior you have witnessed or information you’ve heard or read. As a member of the Bentley community, you have an important responsibility to help the student access appropriate resources.

Confidential Reporting

All colleges are mandated by law (the Jeanne Clery Act) to report the number of sexual assaults and rapes, and other crimes that occur on their campuses each year. This is done to help with awareness, prevention, and response. For this reason, it is important to report that an incident has occurred. Reporting a rape or sexual assault is confidential — no names of survivors are required.

Although certain faculty and staff — identified as Responsible Employees through Title IX and as campus security authorities (CSAs) by the chief of University Police based on Clery Act requirements — are mandated by law to report sexual assaults and other crimes to University Police, all faculty and staff are strongly urged to report any crimes of which they have knowledge in order to provide accurate statistics and to make sure the campus is safe. The name of a survivor of a sexual assault does not have to be disclosed.

If you have questions on whether you in your role on campus are required to report a sexual assault, please contact Bentley's Title IX Coordinator, Erin Kelley, at 781.891.2329. Whether you are required to or not, you can report a sexual assault without names by calling University Police (emergency line: 781.891.3131) or by submtiing a Bentley Cares Referral.

How to Assist Students

  • The most helpful thing you can do is listen without giving advice, and help the student get connected to the appropriate professional resources. It is not your responsibility to “fix” the situation for the student, but rather to guide them toward the best resource to help them do it themselves.
  • Remember that your role in this situation may be different than your professional role with students. As the student decides their next steps, it may be hard not to tell the student what to do, but these decisions must be left up to the student.
  • Know it takes time to identify, address, and recover from relationship violence and sexual assault.
  • Explore our on-, off-campus and online resources for information on where to refer students. If you would like to learn about how best to refer students for counseling for these and other issues, read Referring Students to Counseling.
  • For some students, accessing resources, even when needed, can be overwhelming. You may offer to walk them to offices such as the Counseling Center (second floor of the Callahan Police Station), University Police (Callahan Police Station) or the Center for Health & Wellness (Rhodes Hall,  ground floor). This small step can make an enormous difference for a student.
  • Learn more about how to help someone who has been assaulted for information on how to talk with students struggling to cope with a sexual assault.
  • If you wish to talk to someone about unhealthy relationships, relationship violence, sexual assault, or how to help students, you can call the Counseling Center (781.891.2274) or the Center for Health and Wellness (781.891.2222).
  • To receive additional support for yourself, contact Human Resources (781.891.3427). You also may contact KGA, Inc., Bentley’s employee assistance program, directly at 1.800.648.9557.